Flashing Brake light Hyperlites

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I just finished installing a Flashing Brake / Running light kit from Hyperlites. The kit is easy to install using their solderless connectors, which are included. One note is their instructions include a generic Honda wire color chart, which is incorrect for the NT model. You will need to look at the NT electrical schematic for the correct wire color. To install, I removed the rear fender / mud flap and drilled two holes for the wires to threat up into the rear tail-light compartment. In addition to the pictures, I tried to attach an MP4 video showing the blinking brake light, but I couldn't figure out how to attach it.

Attachments

Bike
NT700va
Did I see some sort of T connector to attach lites to one of the existing lines? Were they furnished with unit and what is your opinion of how well they work/last?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Those connectors look like Posi-Taps. They are about the best solderless connector going, but are still IMHO no substitute for a good old fashioned soldered connection..

MIke

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yup, I love posi taps. I agree soldering is the best but with posi taps it's easy to uninstall stuff with little signs of the previous mods. Never had one come loose.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Honestly, I have never seen one fail either but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Scotch-Loks and I guess I have lumped 'em all together. Seein' as how I'm an Olde Farte and I'm not about to change though, I'm still stickin' with soldered connections.
:thumb:
Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Scotch-Loks were invented by the Devil for the trailer/motorhome industry to make a quick & dirty connection using a knife blade that almost severs the wire. By comparison, Posi-Taps use a tiny needle to come in one side to make contact.

Mike - I agree about the soldering when making an end-to-end connection but making a neat & tidy "T" connection is much more difficult. And with those teeny wires used these days, the Posi-Taps work nicely. :)

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Well lets not be to hasty condemning all Scotch Loks. The one I used in the telcommunications industry were BellCore approved, a national high standard back then, and lasted forever in very marginal environments. Of course to have that Bellcore approval they cost three or five times as much as the junk at the local corner store. :rolleyes: They were also the button style with a gel filling to protect the bare wire. We did not use the fold over blade style sold in automotive / home improvement stores.

Scotch-Loks were invented by the Devil for the trailer/motorhome industry to make a quick & dirty connection
Good news... Some of the RV industry finally got smart and ditched the cheap knock off connectors. Forest River now uses Wago 221 connectors which are much better. I was doing a plant tour and the guide gave me a huge bag full of the various Wago connectors. I use them doing upgrades to our RV so it looks stock. Not as fancy as my old Bellcore stuff but very durable and well made. :)

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Visibility from any vehicle closer than 20 ft behind you, the driver would not likely be able to see your auxiliary lights. This is my concern regarding this subject.

I have both a GearBrake installed on the bike's taillight using LED bulbs. They might be out of business now. Their website does not come or can be connected to.

I also have a BRAKE FREE LIGHT helmet unit too. This puts the light at eye level.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I am impressed and pleased with my Brake Free Light helmet unit. I run it in the Stealth mode and it has lasted for a 15-hr day.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I have a Brake Free Light helmet unit also. I agree with Phil's comment,

Top Bottom