Forks and Shock!

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Now I've not had enough time to ride my NT that much but I've rode it enough to know it don't ride near as good as my CBR witch has cartridge forks and rear shock in reservoir and compression and rebound adjustments, the NT is just not near as compliant your feel them sharp edge bumps that give you a jarring, now I was thinking they both have 41 mm forks and the legs look the same, may just be a swap? Now wheres that tape measure,ha ha! Hey Dirtflier what do you think?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Better suspenders would be nice. If they match you it is fine but not adjustable enough.
There may be some possible swaps, but use that tape measure to make sure brakes and such still fit and work.

Brad

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
its more than tape measure, size of tubes and length of overall. the brake calipers have certain bolts size and location and spacing to get inline with rotors. change internal components if you must

rear shock has preload setting with small resivour. owners have changed out spring

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have a friend who swapped forks from a CBRF2 or F3 onto his Hawk GT650 and I believe he only saved the triple clamps from the Hawk - everything else was from the CBR.

I have Ricor fork inserts and standard springs but with much shorter spacers than OEM, and 5 wt oil. In the back I have a Works Performance shock but a lot of people have had good luck with changing to an Ohlins spring ($90) on the Showa shock. The standard spring is OK for someone who is heavier but too stiff for guys our size. It is dual rate but the soft portion is very short so just sitting on the bike puts it into the stiff portion that is designed for 2-up.

If I'd had known about the Ohlins spring in 2012, I would have gone that way. :)

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Thanks for the info DirtFlier I'm not going to do anything soon but since I'm keeping my CBR you know I will be entertaining the ideal and measuring it up. Also I got a Works Performance shock on my 250 and it better than stock but not near as good of ride as The CBR so I may look into what to do with it, don't think I pay that much for a Ohlins shock?

ps oh I see its just the Ohlins spring, looks like they dont make a shock for it.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Daryl,

If you punch "Ohlins spring" into search on this website, you'll get all the info. A member who lives in NC did all the grunt work for us because he could actually go to Ohlins without having to drive across 5 states!

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Thank's Tosh, oh' do you maybe still have the stock shock from the NT? i would like to compare it to a spare f2 reservoir shock I have.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Daryl, if Tosh doesn't have that shock, I've got a spare. I had to replace my shock at 96,687 miles. I was about two weeks shy of the expiration of my extended warranty and Honda decided that a shock was a wear item, not a warranty item. Not long after that, a forum member who had gotten rid of his NT after replacing his rear shock with one of the after-market ones (can't remember which), sent me his, thinking I might want it. Since I'd just replaced mine, I kept the shock and still have it. Let me know if you need it.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Daryl,

Give me a week or so and I'll have time to go into the attic above my garage and take a look at the old shock. You probably need the eye-to-eye length, mounting bolt size, and width of bushings just to see if the swap is viable.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Daryl, if Tosh doesn't have that shock, I've got a spare. I had to replace my shock at 96,687 miles. I was about two weeks shy of the expiration of my extended warranty and Honda decided that a shock was a wear item, not a warranty item. Not long after that, a forum member who had gotten rid of his NT after replacing his rear shock with one of the after-market ones (can't remember which), sent me his, thinking I might want it. Since I'd just replaced mine, I kept the shock and still have it. Let me know if you need it.
Thank's Phil, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Daryl,

Give me a week or so and I'll have time to go into the attic above my garage and take a look at the old shock. You probably need the eye-to-eye length, mounting bolt size, and width of bushings just to see if the swap is viable.
Thank You!

Daryl:

Sorry that the ride isn't as nice as you want it....the ride on the back wasn't as smooth as my wife would have liked, and the back seat was pretty thinly padded.

You might try installing emulators in the front fork - they helped my Cafe' bike considerably, and I also installed a set in my friends Burgman and it made a big difference.

RaceTech makes the ones I used - recently a fellow installed a set of Korean made ones that were cheaper....and appear similarly made. The emulators are adjustable - so you may need to play around a bit with the settings to get it where you want it.

I didn't see the NT700 listed on either site - the NT650 Nighthawk is likely not the same at the NT650 Deauville or the NT700. RaceTech has good support and Tech Help and can likely find something that will work - I don't know about YSS help.

Racetech
http://racetech.com/index.aspx

YSS:
http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss_pdforkvalve.html

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Hello Dave, the ride is what I expected and is fine its just not as good as what I have with the CBR I will not be doing anything to the suspension this year I need time to give it a good study first. Going on my first real ride on it tomorrow. Hey also my friend Pat that you meet is having that Breakfast meet next Saturday, hope you can make it be good to see you! Here's a link about the meet and everybody here is more than welcome, take care see you soon! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1000078980012020/permalink/1856222797730963/

Top Bottom