Front Fork Seal Failure

Just as I turn 30K the front fork is got a small almost intermittent seap I found this a.m. Most annoying since I clean the the forks almost everytime I finish a ride. Oh well my question is has anyone else had this and how much did it set you back at the dealer. Don't have time to do this one myself.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had it twice, Lorien. I'm sorry but I don't remember how much it cost to get if done at the dealer the first time. The second time, my dealer somehow managed to convince Honda to pay for the repair under my extended warranty. I did have to pay for the fork bushings... seems like they were about $30. That's why I put the Triumph fork gaitors on.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If you were still covered under the warranty or the Honda service contract, why would they not pay for the fork seals the first time?

Just askin'

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[If you were still covered under the warranty or the Honda service contract, why would they not pay for the fork seals the first time?]

Fork seals, like chains, tires, clutch discs brake pads, are usually considered a normal wear item.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yeah, clean those forks... many never think about it and even a dried bug can cause issues... also, some fork guards help to deflect anything that might ding or attach to the forks.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Here's my fork seal story.

At about 28K during a service the mechanic found a leaking fork seal. Dealer said it was clearly a warranty item and proceded to order the parts. At a ride-to-eat event that same weekend a fellow rider said I had a bent rim. We looked at it and I knew exactly when it happened. A week earlier I had run over a 3 to 4 inch thick slab of wood in the highway. The resulting slamming of the fork through its entire travel possibly blew the seal. In any case, I had TWO bent rims, TWO ruined tires and the leaking seal all fixed by insurance.

Otherwise, I've had no fork seal issues (knock wood). I do wash the forks well when i wash the bike, but I am not overly picky about it.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
If you must replace the seals, you may want to buy the Triumph Fork Gaitors first and give them to the shop that does your seals. Hey, they have forks off anyway, how much effort is it to put the gaitors on once the forks are off.

I went to gaitors at 9000 miles, now have 22000. The gaitors look great and have to offer more protection than the stock plastic guard.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I would consider fork seals a wear item and have no idea why the dealer claimed them as a warranty item the 2nd time. When I noticed them leaking, I mentioned it to the mechanic who was going to do my water pump repair. He found the cracked muffler and then claimed the seal(s), the muffler and the water pump as warranty items and Honda granted the claim. My dealer didn't have the fork bushings in stock and while they were waiting on them, I used the Motion Pro fork seal tool (that little piece of thin blue plastic) and the seal wasn't leaking when the bushings came in. But since the forks had to come off to put the Triumph gaitors on, they replaced the seals and bushings. Like I said, I did have to pay for the bushings.

OP
OP
Did you try to clean it? Simple procedure and it clears up a lot of issues.
Perhaps I am just lucky but the problem has seemed to solve itself. I did indeed clean the leak area and found nothing stuck to the forks except my usual corrosion pits which are very high on the fork and at the limit of travel. The fork seemed to leak a small amount after the first cleaning and has only shown the slightest hint of oil since. My shop told me to get a motocross device I believe called seal saver or something like that which cleans debris out of the seal. Unfamiliar with it but wil try to find it if the problem recurs.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
If you happen to have some old 35mm film negatives lying around, it's basically the same concept.

Top Bottom