Front Wheel Bearing Failure

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Had one go at the end of last season and it drove me crazy to find it. It would make all sorts of ugly noises and then get quiet as a mouse. A sound like a cable caught in the hub and flapping. the friction surface delaminated from the backing plate and binding. Assorted squeals and gronches even rolling the bike at a stop.

I thought it was a brake pad problem and ordered a new set. used a C clamp to open the calipers and pulled the front wheel to check the bearings. They felt fine to me and the pads looked OK, WTH. The bike sat in the garage waiting to get fixed and serviced. Life seems to serve up large helping of the wrong thing at the wrong time so it sat while life did it's thing.

Weather here got very warm for early spring and I pushed the stripped bike out of the garage into the sun for some overdue defunking. It squealed on the way out and was quiet on the way in. service done the tupperware back on it was way too tempting to go for a short very upright ride. Rode to work, nothing. The next day the noise was back. Pulled the front front fender to convince myself that there was nothing going on in there. Pulled the front wheel and a bearing was bad. pried out the seal and the cage of the ball bearing was coming apart you could fish bits of it out with a screwdriver. A new set of Honda bits got pressed back in in and Jezabell is dancing again.

Look for wear marks on the wheel spacers where they go into the bearing seals. Seems the bad bearing can drive them. Plastic getting slapped noises from the front end can be bearing problems.

Enjoy your ride

Bike
Bonneville T120
Karl,
Sad to hear about the problem. Hope all is well now. Unfortunately it looks like New England is back to "normal" temperatures. Sure seems cold after last week!!!

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The problem is all done. May yours last longer than mine did. Fueled up at 209 miles about an hour from home all is well. Happy camper at this point.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Karl,

Glad to hear that the problem is solved. Persistent patience conquers all- well mostly all. Hope the other life issues are moving in a positive direction as well.

Herb

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Karl,
Glad you solved the problem. Thanks for the info as to what to listen for. So far at 5000 miles Merlot is OK. Got some nice rides in last week. Right now it is colder and wet--hopefully no snow in the offing.

Raycad

At every maintenance interval, I check wheel bearings for looseness by holding each jacked up wheel at top and bottom and trying to rock it from side to side. If the slightest play is detetected, one or both bearings are shot. Just a few minutes for peace of mind!

I'd a '90 ST1100 with weak bearings that had to be replaced from time to time. Fortunately, I caught every defective bearing in time with this method. Now I'm paranoid about wheel bearings. Even if I did not have a bad one for the last 10 years, I keeep checking!

Ray

Top Bottom