Front wheel bearings

EODEAN

Bike
2011 NT
While on my trip to the Black Hills last month I noticed grease spots on my front rim. Cleaned it off and the next time I stopped for fuel it had more grease spots on the rim. Bike has less than 3,000 miles on it. Is a 2011 NT. Is this normal or should I change the wheel bearings?

I would say that's more of a sign of lots of grease when it was installed at the factory. You need to take the front tire off and check the bearings to see if it feels rough when you turn them with your finger. It's pretty rare for front bearings to go out that soon.

+1 on Mellow's comment but I'd overlook his typo of "great" to mean grease. :smile:

I had one fail on me. When I took the front wheel off the first time the bearing felt good. Mine started with screaming intermittently. Popped a dust seal off and the balls just rolled out the next time I took the wheel off.

My front wheel bearings l;asted the life of the front wheel, about 50,000 miles.
A kind truck driver left half his load of bricks in the road just round a bend. Front wheel got a dent in the rim. Front Wheel ?410 ($667) in the UK. $176.58 from Partzilla.com. Guess where I bought it :-}

I dropped my NT off at my mechanics shop today to get new tires mounted and it turns out one of my front wheel bearing has gone bad.

I'm just going to pay to fix it but does anyone know if a wheel bearing would have been covered under my extended warranty?

I don't think so. Wheel bearings are usually considered wear items, I think. But, hey, I may be wrong.

most "extended warranties" are service contracts and cover what they spell out. I would at least ask and do some reading if I didn't like the answer.
Good luck.

Thanks
I was having the tires changed at an ex motorcycle dealership mechanic that had worked at dealerships for 17 years. He just opened his own 1 man shop about a year ago and called me about 10 minutes before western power sports wouldn't ship the parts next day and I had just dropped the bike off 2 hours earlier. He said it would probably be under $50 for the parts so I just told him to order them. I didn't talk to the Honda dealership but I was just wondering if anyone knew if wheel bearings were a warranty item.

To me having my NT back in less than 24 hours in the winter is worth the $50 the warranty might have covered and taken a week or longer. I ended up riding my crf250L tonight 70 miles tonight at 12 degrees I want my NT back on the road.:frown:

That a boy Rustinpeace. Don't let a little cold weather keep you off your bike. This morning it is 6? and I wanted to ride to work but unfortunately my NT has been at the dealer since Monday while they try to find the source of a coolant leak. It usually appears after I have been riding it and the mechanics don't seem to want to take it out for a ride to see if they can get it to leak. More about that story in a later post.

Warren, if it's just a few drops of coolant after a ride and the leaks on the left side (IIRC), it might be the seal between the water pump and it's shaft. That's what mine was.

I called them tonight and they said it was coming from the radiator cap and the upper hose. They are going to replace under my extended warranty.

Back
Top Bottom