Frustrated with latches

Yes I am another not happy with the latches on the lid. I had read a lot about the nt700 problems and the latches were pretty much the only problem. I bought the bike used with only 2200 miles in the fall, was not ridden much. The first owner did epoxy up one of the latches already. Ok, I will keep an eye on them. I opened up to place cookies for my uncle, mistake, latch broke right off, on the left side of bike if you are sitting on it. The same side that was fixed. Glued it together and placed epoxy around. I am going to epoxy all of them to strengthen them up. Honda gets a thumbs down on this. Has anybody got response from Honda on these issues? What a problem if I was out on the road and could not close the bag up. I am sticking a net in the bike in case it falls again.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Honda did a lot of things right with the NT, the latches is not one of them.
Don't know of anyone getting help from Honda on them.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My whole latch system was replaced back when I had about 50K miles on the bike, using my extended warranty. That's long gone now. I've got external latches and one of these days, I'll get around to trying to install them.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My whole latch system was replaced back when I had about 50K miles on the bike, using my extended warranty. That's long gone now. I've got external latches and one of these days, I'll get around to trying to install them.
Phil, I think I saw those sitting in your garage when Mitch and I stopped there in about 2015 on our way to the west coast. I thought I was pretty good at putting things off, but you are leaving me in the dust.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm a PROcrastinator, Jim. There ain't no amateurs in this business.

OP
OP
Hey Phil, could you post a pic of the latches. I epoxied all of them and looking good. Going to file the screws down on the broken one, put some epoxy in the hole and screw it in. Let it sit and good to go.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Jungle Jim - maybe those latches were too green and Phil was waiting for them to age sufficiently? It's similar to pouring wine from a freshly-opened bottle then letting it "air" for few minutes before taking a sip. :)

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Hey Phil, could you post a pic of the latches. I epoxied all of them and looking good. Going to file the screws down on the broken one, put some epoxy in the hole and screw it in. Let it sit and good to go.
Tim, clarify something for me: Did you epoxy external latches to your bike or epoxy the metal latches and the screws that attach them to the pannier lid? I'll get a picture of the external latches I've got (if they've finished aging enough) before too long and post it here.

OP
OP
I epoxied the latches and screws in side. not pretty but I think it will hold up. just looking for another way if these do not hold up. when I finish putting the final touches I will post a pic.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The outside repair on the lids is easy. The repair on the plastic posts that hold the latching mechanisms are quite the opposite!

OP
OP
Repairing the inside wasn't to bad. More time consuming because I am letting it dry each step. Going riding today with buddies but taking the vstrom 1000. I still have to post pics.

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Agree that the latches are not one of Honda's greatest engineering moments, but someone must have been pretty heavy handed to break them at just over 2000 miles..... Mine still work Ok at 75K miles after being used by the AA (car breakdown service not booze...) in London for 48K miles. For some reason the US seem to have far more issue than the UK about the latches from forum comments at least - different travel usage maybe (commute/shorter runs as opposed to longer trips??) or something else? A pondering moment as we currently have the time to ponder rather than ride!!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I believe my latches were broken when I rode my new 2011 away from the dealership. I watched the salesman forcefully slam the lids repeatedly when he was "demonstrating" the bike to me. They never worked very well from new and I learned later why. I also watched (from outside the ship) while the "technician" tried to install the battery vertically. But, to the credit of the dealership, they are better at working on 4-wheelers and snowmobiles.

OP
OP
Heres my pic, not pretty but I think will hold up better. The first pic was repaired by first owner, I epoxied it up more, and the second the plastic screw holes broke apart so they were glued, then JB WELD then epoxy. The screws were shaved a little thinner, put a dab of JB and installed. The flat screw head was used because the original was still to tight to screw in so I found a thinner screw. Opened and closed the sides up several times and good to go.I will keep an eye on them to check any future cracking. Oh and that was a 2 part epoxy, as you pushed the plunger it mixed and went through a long tip.

Attachments

Top Bottom