Fuel line disconnect

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Does anybody replace the retainer cliips and rubber caps after disconnecting the fuel lines? The Honda service manual says to replace them each time you disconnect and re-connect the fuel line. I never have and don't know anyone who does. The local Honda dealer doesn't even stock the parts so I'm guessing they just use the old ones too. When I ask them about it they just talk stupid circles without answering. I figure if it doesn't leak when I cycle the fuel pump it is OK. Fuel leaks are easy to diagnose - they either stink or catch on fire.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just to have them, on an order from BikeBandit I got the clips. They are cheep....havent pulled the tank yet.
Will have to look into the rubber caps, what ever they are.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I followed the manual the first time and replaced but not since then and definitely feel that it's not necessary.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The part number has never been on an invoice from my dealer after valve adjustment. They've done six now. Don't think they replace them -- even if they replace the spark plugs which probably don't need it either.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Good advice from Tattoo Paul. The fuel pump is inside the tank so that coupling is under high pressure and not just the normal gravity-feed coupling as on a bike with carburetors.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
+1
I ordered the parts when I pulled the tank last spring. The existing clip looked okay and held with no leaks but I have the spares should I need them next time.

Do yourself a favor - order them, and then put them aside. All it takes is one small nick and you have a leak. Then, your bike is down (unless you feel like riding a potential fireball) until you get them in.
I learned this lesson the hard way when I had my Bimmer.
It's better to have and not need, than need and not have. It's not like they are expensive.

Top Bottom