Fun Tools

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
These are tools that mostly run from Free to $10. The socket set was a bit more....They are kind of fun to see if they have any utility....I like the tool roll .......

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Harbor Freight gets some of my money. Home Depot has some of these too....my main tool kit is a Craftsman but for emergency tool kits for the cars and bikes, these are fine....

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I wouldn't buy a garbage can from Harbor Freight. I had too much stuff from there that was just junk. Worse yet I tried to use some of it and broke more things than I fixed. I want my tools to work and work hard. I like Snap On and Mac. Some of my traveling tools are Craftsman. I really like the idea of free replacements when I break something (which usually takes some serious abuse). I avoid Menards and Home Depot too. I buy my tools from a tool store that replaces what I break (no questions) and even takes back a tool I don't like after I buy it. It costs a little more, but it's worth it to me.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I guess you have to know what you want. Some of the "Pittsburgh" tools sold at HF are quite good, as are Kobalt sold at Lowes. The cycle lift from HF is quite decent for the home mechanic. A lift from Snap-On would cost more than 2K. I also like Craftsman, but the new stuff is not the quality of the old stuff. I have Craftsman tools over 50 years old--much better quality. Most tools nowadays are Lifetime Warranty. Pittsburgh and Kobalt as well as Great Neck have free replacement warranties. When you buy tools at the Dollar Store, don't expect much. Incidentally, Cruz Tools and Park Tools sold specifically for motorcycles are also very good.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
+1 on the Park Tools. They were the creme de la creme of bicycle tools and they're right up there for mc tools as well.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I realize that some stuff out there on the economy market is decent for the occasional use. Trouble is it is hard to tell the good stuff from the junk. I do have some good Kobalt stuff. If Snap-On is too expensive I don't buy it. I've made a bunch of stuff myself (like a lift). It is not cost efficient, but I enjoy doing it. I don't worry about putting a wrench on a Mac screw dirver to help turn it, but I've been amazed at how fragile some cheap screw drivers are. And I have some Park tools that are great.

So not all the cheap stuff in junk and not all the expensive stuff is worth it. You just have to be smart about what you buy and where you buy it.

elizilla

I let myself go a little nuts at Harbor Freight, and buy things just because I think they're cool and I might need them sometime. A lot of this stuff, I never use. For example, wrenches. 99 percent of the time, I reach for the basic flat Craftsman wrenches. But when I do need a wrench with some specific weird bend, I have plenty of variety in the toolbox, courtesy of HF. And if I break one, well, now I know that specific wrench is something I need, and it's worth investing in the good version of it.

Before HF I used to buy things like this, too. For example I have a set of special socket heads designed to grip rounded off bolts. Craftsman. I opened the box to look at them, then I put it in my toolbox, and never took it out again. If I had gotten a $7 version of those, instead of a $70 version, I'd have gotten the same amount of use out of them.

tawilke46

My dad always bought Craftsman, and I have followed in his footsteps. Although I know the tools are probably not made in the USA any more. But then again not much is still made in the good 'ol USA. I have been very satisfied with Craftsman over the years.
I do occasionally buy Kobalt or Ridgid tools. I look at the quality of the tool before I buy.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I realize that some stuff out there on the economy market is decent for the occasional use. Trouble is it is hard to tell the good stuff from the junk. I do have some good Kobalt stuff. If Snap-On is too expensive I don't buy it. I've made a bunch of stuff myself (like a lift). It is not cost efficient, but I enjoy doing it. I don't worry about putting a wrench on a Mac screw dirver to help turn it, but I've been amazed at how fragile some cheap screw drivers are. And I have some Park tools that are great.

So not all the cheap stuff in junk and not all the expensive stuff is worth it. You just have to be smart about what you buy and where you buy it.
That just about sums it up. I have four cars and two bikes (so far). I like to keep basic emergency tools in each. Sure I could outfit each vehicle with craftsman tools....but for roadside emergencies or helping someone out at a campground, the Pittsburgs work fine....
Here is something to think about....at the Oshkosh fly-in (10,000 aircraft), I camp out with a number on interesting people, one of which is a United Airlines Captain (Boeing 777) . He told me all United Boeing 777 heavy maintenance is now done under contract in China. (I did check this out on the web) I wonder what tools they use? Sleep well.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Top picture - the right angle, ratcheting screwdriver:
As far as I am concerned, Chapman makes the best one, and they make a set with metric hex bits.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I bought a set of "wobble head" allen sockets at HF and promptly broke one the first time it was used. Now I know not to exert too much force on those! I agree about modern Craftsman tools being substandard. I have a few Craftsman sockets where the chrome finish was so poor that it started pealing almost immediately. In ref to the "90-degree air chuck," I solved that dilemma by switching to metal valve stems with a 90-degree head. They are sealed in the rim by an O-ring so you never have to worry about the rubber stem cracking as with the normal valve stem. The ones I bought are made of aluminum so didn't effect the balance of the rim at all.

skiper

The best way to put out a fire is with a fire-engine. You can do well with moderation mode , don't spend it all in one place. If it breaks get a better one. Nothing wrong with a non professional owning their tools but then you can't have as many or - as many specialty tools. That's my message to newbies - mix it up - be careful you don't limit what you can do by getting side tracked with glitz and hype. Getting the job repaired is the real goal. And on the other hand - nothing wrong with putting on a show for yourself or others.. Oh yea , I was at a harbor freight store and asked about a discount on a tool kit with on piece stolen / missing ? Got it for 50% off. It was their open end travel kit - short handle style good for NT axle nuts. They are forged without chrome, something like galvanized. Two will travel well and I'll probably never use them on the road. Can't wait to ride again and play the NT. Will you have a good weekend ?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have two of those sets on the bike. The one with the red box and T handle and the first one. Have used them a lot. Both were bought at Lowes during Xmas sales.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I wouldn't buy a garbage can from Harbor Freight. I had too much stuff from there that was just junk. Worse yet I tried to use some of it and broke more things than I fixed. I want my tools to work and work hard. I like Snap On and Mac. Some of my traveling tools are Craftsman. I really like the idea of free replacements when I break something (which usually takes some serious abuse). I avoid Menards and Home Depot too. I buy my tools from a tool store that replaces what I break (no questions) and even takes back a tool I don't like after I buy it. It costs a little more, but it's worth it to me.
Amen! Amen!

Mike

slider

I bought the big lift, little wheel chocks, a 5 drawer tool cart , a good sized tool kit for the pool shed and basement and a grinder from HF. Not a problem with any of it. I tend not to buy electric stuff from them but basic stuff is great. The tool cart is better than the blue point one I used to have. The T handle ratcheting screwdrivers are nice too.

Oh and if you buy the little seat to scoot around on put the seat on backwards. If you do it like the directions say you'll flip over on it. Easy fix but comical to read the reviews on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2?. After cracking a Craftsman socket and bringing it back to the store for replacement, only to be told they will snail-mail me my replacement, I have to re-consider them. Some of the Menards stuff, I think its their Mastercraft brand, is made in USA (I'm pretty sure by Allen) and has a lifetime replacement. HF stuff, Iv'e got a bunch of impact sockets, never broke one.

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
+1 on the Park Tools. They were the creme de la creme of bicycle tools and they're right up there for mc tools as well.
I have a top box full of mostly Park bicycle tools from my shop days, even a pro truing stand which still gets used a lot.
I'm a bit of a tool snob, raised around a garage with Snap-On, Proto and Mac, though many of the Cobalt wrenches are made in the same facility as Snap-On so I have no issue with their quality.
I have a lot of Craftsman due to convenience, but its not usually my first choice.

Top Bottom