Gadgets

elizilla

(from old forum, 2/28/2010)

Thought I'd share some pictures of what I have set up so far on my bike.

The knob on the fairing pocket cover is a volume control. I bought an Amplirider to plug my MP3 player into, because it has this remote volume knob. This will allow me to stash my MP3 player in the fairing pocket out of the rain, and still be able to dial the volume up and down as needed. And I won't be struggling with the teeny tiny volume controls on the device, by feel, while wearing gloves.

The two knobs up on the bars, are for my heated grips and my heated jacket. The red button is the push-to-talk for my Autocom, so that when I'm using FRS or CB radio I can sing along with the music and not be broadcasting it over the airwaves. All three of them are attached to a little platform I made that bolts into the unused left mirror mount.

This is the inside of the left fairing pocket. The little box on the underside of the pocket cover, protects the underside of the panel mounted volume switch in the first picture. Note the wire that comes out of the box and then goes out of the fairing pocket through a grommet; this connects the volume control to the main Amplirider box, which I buried inside the fairing, in front of the pocket. Then there is a panel mount waterproof 3.5mm socket that I can plug my MP3 player into; this also connects to the concealed Amplirider box. I'd have liked to place both of these much higher up in the pocket, except that stuff protruding out of the pocket, that's placed too high up, will interfere with taking the bodywork apart.

Here is the inside of the right fairing pocket. The socket here is a cig lighter plug from Powerlet. The two wires coming through the grommet here, are going to go to the voltmeter I am planning to mount on top of the pocket cover, which isn't here yet.

I've been changing the wiring around in the tail, since I last posted. The PIE amp is gone, replaced by the Amplirider that gave me the cool remote volume control. Since the wire to connect the volume control to the main amp box wasn't quite long enough to get to the back of the bike, and there's so much room in the fairing, I moved that box up there. The Amplirider costs a little more but I think it's going to be a niftier solution.

The fuse panel is a Fuzeblock. It has a cover but I've been photographing it with the cover off so people can see what's in there.

Also note the item at the center top. This is the back side of a cig lighter socket whose business end is inside the left sidecase. I can use this to charge my phone or my MP3 player or whatever.

I've been trying to find a kit that steps the voltage down to five volts and feeds it to a panel mount USB power port, but no one seems to make one yet. I sent email to Powerlet about it, and they said they are considering "something like this". I've got a friend who is good with a soldering iron, who might make one for me, but until then I guess I'm stuck with cig lighter USB chargers.

I still need to tap into the tail light wire to switch the relay to my accessory fuse panel. And I still need to wire up the hyperlites. I've got them placed on the back of the bike, and routed the wires, but I've run into a snag there - the tail plastic has so far proved impervious to every kind of adhesive. I'll have to get some different double sided tape or glue, or get out my dremel and etch the plastic so it will be easier to stick things to, or build some sort of screw mount that won't need glue. But for now I decided to stop there, since I was too tired to make any more such decisions. I'll give it some thought this week and tackle it again on Friday.

(from old forum, 2/28/2010)I've been trying to find a kit that steps the voltage down to five volts and feeds it to a panel mount USB power port, but no one seems to make one yet. I sent email to Powerlet about it, and they said they are considering "something like this". I've got a friend who is good with a soldering iron, who might make one for me, but until then I guess I'm stuck with cig lighter USB chargers.
I don't know if you've come across this yet.

All Weather USB Hardwire Kit

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
(from old forum, 2/28/2010)

Thought I'd share some pictures of what I have set up so far on my bike.

The knob on the fairing pocket cover is a volume control. I bought an Amplirider to plug my MP3 player into, because it has this remote volume knob. This will allow me to stash my MP3 player in the fairing pocket out of the rain, and still be able to dial the volume up and down as needed. And I won't be struggling with the teeny tiny volume controls on the device, by feel, while wearing gloves.

The two knobs up on the bars, are for my heated grips and my heated jacket. The red button is the push-to-talk for my Autocom, so that when I'm using FRS or CB radio I can sing along with the music and not be broadcasting it over the airwaves. All three of them are attached to a little platform I made that bolts into the unused left mirror mount.

This is the inside of the left fairing pocket. The little box on the underside of the pocket cover, protects the underside of the panel mounted volume switch in the first picture. Note the wire that comes out of the box and then goes out of the fairing pocket through a grommet; this connects the volume control to the main Amplirider box, which I buried inside the fairing, in front of the pocket. Then there is a panel mount waterproof 3.5mm socket that I can plug my MP3 player into; this also connects to the concealed Amplirider box. I'd have liked to place both of these much higher up in the pocket, except that stuff protruding out of the pocket, that's placed too high up, will interfere with taking the bodywork apart.

Here is the inside of the right fairing pocket. The socket here is a cig lighter plug from Powerlet. The two wires coming through the grommet here, are going to go to the voltmeter I am planning to mount on top of the pocket cover, which isn't here yet.

I've been changing the wiring around in the tail, since I last posted. The PIE amp is gone, replaced by the Amplirider that gave me the cool remote volume control. Since the wire to connect the volume control to the main amp box wasn't quite long enough to get to the back of the bike, and there's so much room in the fairing, I moved that box up there. The Amplirider costs a little more but I think it's going to be a niftier solution.

The fuse panel is a Fuzeblock. It has a cover but I've been photographing it with the cover off so people can see what's in there.

Also note the item at the center top. This is the back side of a cig lighter socket whose business end is inside the left sidecase. I can use this to charge my phone or my MP3 player or whatever.

I've been trying to find a kit that steps the voltage down to five volts and feeds it to a panel mount USB power port, but no one seems to make one yet. I sent email to Powerlet about it, and they said they are considering "something like this". I've got a friend who is good with a soldering iron, who might make one for me, but until then I guess I'm stuck with cig lighter USB chargers.

I still need to tap into the tail light wire to switch the relay to my accessory fuse panel. And I still need to wire up the hyperlites. I've got them placed on the back of the bike, and routed the wires, but I've run into a snag there - the tail plastic has so far proved impervious to every kind of adhesive. I'll have to get some different double sided tape or glue, or get out my dremel and etch the plastic so it will be easier to stick things to, or build some sort of screw mount that won't need glue. But for now I decided to stop there, since I was too tired to make any more such decisions. I'll give it some thought this week and tackle it again on Friday.
Katherine, do you have a fuse between the Fuzeblock and the battery ?

OP
OP

elizilla

30 amp. That is the maximum the Fuzeblock can carry.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Instead of using a Fuse between the Battery and Fuzeblock I have a 12VDC 30AMP in-line Circuit Breaker. That way if something does go wrong I won't need to keep replacing fuses while I troubleshoot...:rolleyes: I used the same type Circuit Breaker that I have on my SUV to run the trailer brakes...if it is good enough for trailer brakes it is good enough for non-critical farkles... :) You can get one at just about any RV dealer.

CoolNT

Sweet, do you have a pic on mounting location in your application?

Top Bottom