Garmin 660 + powerlet?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I have my 660 wired directly to my fuzeblock using the regular harness. But it would simplify my wiring if I could just plug the darn thing into my switched powerlet on the handlebars. I can cannibalize the regular hookup but would be happy to use someone's product. Does anyone know of a product like that?

OP
OP
Rich
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Thanks. The problem is they list a "Zumo" cable, but the 550 and 660 interfaces are not similar. I'm expecting to rip my 660 cradle apart, as I don't need the audio nor the USB/traffic interface.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Since my portable GPS is an older Magellan I can't help with any other suggestions... BTW I found that the traffic service, from XM /Sirius, that I have in my factory equipped SYNC / Navigation Fords is very handy on the road. The Magellan traffic service, long since expired, was handy when out of town as well...

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The Garmin Nuvi 660 (is that the GPS you are referring to) has a mini USB connector on the same side as the SD card slot.

I am fairly certain you can charge the unit via this connector so if you get yourself a standard mini USB cable and maybe a 12 volt to USB outlet cable the problem should be resolved!

OP
OP
Rich
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
The Garmin Nuvi 660 (is that the GPS you are referring to) has a mini USB connector on the same side as the SD card slot.

I am fairly certain you can charge the unit via this connector so if you get yourself a standard mini USB cable and maybe a 12 volt to USB outlet cable the problem should be resolved!
Nope. The Nuvi 660 is not the same. The power cable for the Zumo 660 mount is really long and has several breakouts far from the unit (power, headphone, mic, usb intended for traffic interface). It's a good approach, I'm just looking for a simpler solution, since I really only need the two power leads like 6-8 inches in length.

elizilla

If Powerlet doesn't have what you need on their site, contact them and ask if they can build it. They have the ability to do a lot of that stuff right there.

OP
OP
Rich
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Last edited:

tawilke46

I ran the power and ground leads from the Garmin 660 mount (that came with the GPS) to my Fuzeblock. The other leads I wire tied inside the tupperware. I could still use these leads later if I wanted to.
But with the Fuzeblock the power connection was a simple hookup.

OP
OP
Rich
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I ran the power and ground leads from the Garmin 660 mount (that came with the GPS) to my Fuzeblock. The other leads I wire tied inside the tupperware. I could still use these leads later if I wanted to.
But with the Fuzeblock the power connection was a simple hookup.
That's what I've done, but it leaves a gob of extra wiring coiled up in there. Just looking to remove this, as I've never used this extra stuff in the several years I've had the unit.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I cut the extra wires off and then wrapped them in that stretchy rubber tape that sticks to itself.

OP
OP
Rich
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Using the info on the link provided by Charlie B I cannibalized the wiring harness and it's all done.

Thanks.

Bike
2010 Silver NT 700v
I feel your pain !! Check out pic in my photo album . Did keep the one connector for the speaker/headphone to use with earbuds.

Top Bottom