Garmin hard wire power cable-Honda OEM accessory wiring harness?

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
My bike came with the Honda OEM accessory wiring harness with there cig. power outlet, it don't cut it for powering my GPS it cuts off alot from the cig. adapter vibrating lose. I want to wire in my Garmin hard wire power cable, can I just tap into the oem accessory wiring harness? I don't believe I'll be using the Honda Cig. adapter and my Garmin hard wire power cable at the same time.....or should I find a separate ignition source?

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
For accessories I recommend adding a fuse box. Not a very hard thing to do and you then have never worry. Simple to add one, check here and there are very good guides. You must likely could get away with taping into the cable with out a issue, but I still think an accessory fuse box is the better plan, and if you add lights you already it ready.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
For accessories I recommend adding a fuse box. Not a very hard thing to do and you then have never worry. Simple to add one, check here and there are very good guides. You must likely could get away with taping into the cable with out a issue, but I still think an accessory fuse box is the better plan, and if you add lights you already it ready.
I may give it some thought, I'm thinking about adding driving lights too, I'll give the aftermarket Fuze Box a look at. Thank's Again.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got the Fuzeblock on my NT. Works great. For a while I had the GPS wired in to fuse that was always on, but now have it on one that is unpowered when the bike's ignition is off. If I'm doing a ride where I need to leave the GPS turned on, I just hit the GPS's "leave it on" button before it turns off.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Where did you mount yours? I've seen the under-seat space, in the area of the tool kit and U-lock storage, as a good, available space to mount it. However, it would seem to me to make more sense to mount it somewhere more forward, where most of your accessories are going to be.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My Fuzeblock is under my seat where the U-Lock would be. Works fine there.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I used hook and loop (Velcro) to mount. I the fuse box back as far as I can, and use a old credit card and then slide box back and then remove card (this lets me have in under the plastic). Since seldom accessing it safely protected. I tied to to the lights cable to active box when key is on, all my attached farkles are then turn off/on with key.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If you mount a Fuzeblock under the seat you cannot use a Corbin seat. The Corbin uses its own seat base that eats up the space. Don't ask how I know....the Fuzeblock stayed and the Corbin left...:rolleyes1:

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
My bike came with the Honda OEM accessory wiring harness with there cig. power outlet, it don't cut it for powering my GPS it cuts off alot from the cig. adapter vibrating lose. I want to wire in my Garmin hard wire power cable, can I just tap into the oem accessory wiring harness? I don't believe I'll be using the Honda Cig. adapter and my Garmin hard wire power cable at the same time.....or should I find a separate ignition source?
Yes.
The NT came with an Option Plug that an owner could plug a Sub Harness (part number 08A30-MEW-100) into, and then connect a power outlet. The Option plug is already fused and the power is switched (goes off with the ignition key) on the Black/Yellow wire. I installed Honda's Sub Harness and have it plugged into the option plug, connected a USB power supply to the switched power and ground wires on the Sub Harness, and cut off the remaining wire and connecter. This prevented any alterations to the main harness. No fuses, no fuse box, no worries of it draining my battery. I have a fuzeblock under the seat powering other things but the Option Plug is already near the handlebars, so why not use it.

It sounds like you already have the Sub Harness connected to Option Plug. You would need to install a USB power supply to power the Garmin with 5 vdc, not the 12 vdc found in the cigarette adaptor.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Daryl, my Zumo has been hardwired to my bike since 2013 with no problem.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Daryl, my Zumo has been hardwired to my bike since 2013 with no problem.
I'm just a little worried about that 5v converter box I thought it be on the longer end where I could tuck it in under the fairing, it looks to be sealed, Thanks again Phil I appreciate to help!

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I also have a FuzeBox mounted under my FJR seat. I dedicated one switched circuit to internal USB power for my GPS and SPOT, another switched circuit for LED lights, and an unswitched 20 amp circuit for battery tender/air pump.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Ok got that wired in, now the question is, is the Garmin hard wire cable #010-11131-10 waterproof? The 5v converter box is only about 6 inchs from my gps right up behind the handle bars, it looks to be sealed but not sure. link https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-usb-power-cable
The Q&A on that product says it is not waterproof. Overlap wrap it in electrical tape in a similar method used on the wiring harness may help and wouldn't harm anything. Or try some heat shrink.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
The Q&A on that product says it is not waterproof. Overlap wrap it in electrical tape in a similar method used on the wiring harness may help and wouldn't harm anything. Or try some heat shrink.
I was thinking of something like that, Thank you!

Top Bottom