gas leak

Bike
red 2010 NT700v
What would cause fuel to leak from my NT700 while stored in my garage? I drained what I could from tank and now it has stopped. Vapor lock maybe? Too cold to tear into it now but any guidance is appreciated.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Can you tell what area it is coming from? Tank?
JJ had an issue, might look at "She Puked again" thread. I notice you are from the cold north his seemed temperature related, very cold.

Brad

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Yes. There is an issue with fuel leak in very cold weather.

How much gas leaked? Mine leaked several gallons overnight during a very cold snap while in cold storage with a full tank. - Twice! Fuel was coming from somewhere under the tank and I couldn't tell from exactly where. Siphoned out the remaining gas and brought it in the shop.

The first time I checked all the quick couplers under the tank, found nothing wrong, and put it all back together and back in cold storage. It leaked again. Back into the shop. This time I pulled the emptied tank off and pumped it up to about 15 psi (air) and let it sit overnight in my shop (that took some Red Green plumbing skills). No leaks. So I concluded the leak was due to temperature and not a bad seal. I took the fuel pump out, found nothing wrong, but replaced the rubber gasket around the bottom of the fuel tank. On reassembly I torqued the screws slowly and carefully to compress the rubber gasket as evenly as possible. It leaked no more.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
JJ had an issue, might look at "She Puked again" thread. I notice you are from the cold north his seemed temperature related, very cold.
Wow Brad!!!!

How the heck did you remember that?????

OP
OP
Duffy
Bike
red 2010 NT700v
It leaked a couple gallons over a couple weeks. It is next to outside wall and gas ran down gap between floor and wall. I was blaming other garage occupants and this bike was in back corner. Dripping on floor near side stand. I only looked with flashlight but without taking plastic off, (risky in cold) I couldn't see anything. Thanks for the info, I was surprised it did that. Guess I will drain tank next winter.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
It leaked a couple gallons over a couple weeks.
Mine didn't leak at all until it got 20 below or colder. Then when it did leak it would leak a couple gallons overnight. We haven't really anything that cold yet this year. Where in MN are you? I live just east of Duluth.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
How the heck did you remember that?????
I remembered someone with a tank leak, then a search for fuel leak.

I hadn't thought about it since Arkansas is warm to hot mostly but it would be pretty risky to remove plastic when bitterly cold. Personally I think all cold is bitter.

Brad

OP
OP
Duffy
Bike
red 2010 NT700v
Mine didn't leak at all until it got 20 below or colder. Then when it did leak it would leak a couple gallons overnight. We haven't really anything that cold yet this year. Where in MN are you? I live just east of Duluth.
Fairmont in southern MN. My son went to U of M in Duluth. Nice area, I have a friend by Twig

Top Bottom