Gearbox question

gaxnn

I have a new NT (about 1100 miles on the clock now) and I have a question on the gearbox. When I shift from 1st to 2nd it feels hard and there is a loud clunk which I do not hear on the other gears. It has done it since new and I assumed it was usual, but more recently I have had a few quiet smooth shifts that lead me to believe there might be a problem. I have tried modifying my shifting to include holding the clutch in longer before shifting, shifting at lower RPMs etc, but nothing seems to make much difference.

So the question is, does this sound normal?

Some what normal. It'll be better or worse depending on your skill and also depending on the state of your oil. Did you have the 600 mile oil change? New oil can smooth it out.

Yes I did the 600 mile service myself at 780 and it has been getting better.

Check your oil level. Check your clutch cable adjustment.
As Katherine mentioned, new oil can smooth things out a bit.
Clutch engagement on my NT is almost all the way out on the clutch lever. Sit on the bike, engine running in neutral, shift into 1st gear and slowly let the clutch out. Get a feel where the clutch starts to engage and move the bike forward.

It may still be breaking in and may get better with more miles. Have you tryed keeping the revs higher while shifting? If the engine speed/output speed is matched it will engage smoother.
Now that I am thinking about it I noticed it took me a while to get the first to second shift smooth when the bike ws new. Now it either doesn't do it or I don't notice it anymore.
The lower gears have wider difference in the ratios so are more susseptable to rougher shifts esp first to second since there is a spot for neutral built in between.

Brad

In my opinion you should not hear a clunk or find it hard to shift when going from 1st to 2nd. Perhaps when down shifting but not on the upshift. On the other hand since I am not there to hear or feel it myself its just my interpretation of what you are describing.

I have noticed this as well, sometimes to the point that I "miss" second :redface:. I suspect it is because from first to second, the shifter passes through neutral. There is an "extra" click that can be felt. Ironically, higher RPM will smooth it out some what. Low RPM makes it more noticeable for me. I had the same thing happen on my first bike. Not a problem, just annoying when you "miss" second and rev up in neutral. :mad::redface:

As always, keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

I think its normal as you have to pull hard otherwise you end up in neutral. I think second is slightly harder to shift to than the other gears as a result of this. I should add that it's only slightly more difficult. Make sure you have the right kind of oil as well. This makes me wonder why neutral is in between first and second. Why not start with Neutral?

Why not start with Neutral
There have been transmissions built that way. 70's Kawasaki 100 enduro shifted 5 up. One down side to that is you need to pay more attention to what gear you are in. If for instance the neutral light doesn't work or burns out you may be in neutral at a stop and try to take off. This shift patern is pretty standard for bikes but thing like ATV's are different.

Brad

It is a clunky gearbox. Not quite as clunky as the Guzzi 5 speeds, but, not as smooth as my old CB500-4.

It did surprise me since I expected it to be as smooth as any of the other newer bikes, like the Beemer F800ST.

I bought my NT June of 2010 and I experienced similar when the bike was new. Occaisionally I would miss a shift going from 1st to 2nd. I came to realize I was trying to over finesse the shift and needed to pull up a little firmer. Considering you are shifting up through neutral there is more actual travel between 1st and 2nd that is non-existant between the others. I did notice the upshifts getting smoother after about 1500 miles, so in my considered opinion it is a break in issue and normal. At 8000+ miles, it is a virtual non-issue now.
Len

Lower rpm's result in clunkier gear changes on my NT700V and the smoothest gear changes happen at around 5,000RPM so maybe you need to rev the engine a little more before changing gears.

If you "preload" the shift lever, then roll off the throttle just a bit as you pull in the clutch, the shift is usually quieter.

In fact, if you preload the lever, then roll off the throttle, a lot of the time you can shift quietly, quickly, and smoothly to second without touching the clutch.

Back
Top Bottom