Givi T489 tank bag didn't work out

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Like Phil, the Givi T489 tank bag didn't work for me either. About 2" too wide so impacts with the control module for the heated grips. I'm trying to sell on C-list before sending back to the UK for a full refund. Otherwise I really liked the quick release mechanism, quality materials and functionality. My search for the perfect tank bag continues.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Just took a look at the Givi web site and looked up our NT 700 and all they had listed was for 08 & 09. Did Honda change the bars for 2010 and up?

Bike
Silver NT700V
Somewhere in the 2008 - 2009 there was a change in tank and handlebar shape. I initially bought a Bags Connection bag from Twisted Throttle which was listed as fitting the Deauville 650. I thought the bike were the same. They are not. The bad was WAY too wide. For the NT stick to a bag about 9" wide (210 - 220 mm) for less. I have the Bags Connection Day Pack II and it is great. Love the quick connect feature.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
I have the Givi T480 and mounted the locking ring towards the front (there are several positions to use). Although the bag is 10 1/2" wide and I have the heated grips, I do not have a problem with clearance. It is a bit close but OK for me. I like the width because I can see more of the map I put in the top display.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have the Bags Connection Day Pack II and it is great.

Chuck, One of the things I want with a new tank bag is the ability to put my thermal coffee cup in a back corner of the bag and not have it fall out or fall over in the bag. Would that be possible with Day Pack II? I've wondered about the City and Kevin tells me the Vina would fit.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Probably not. The Day Pack II is small, though it does have an expansion zipper I have not used yet. I may try that on my trip this week end. I do carry a stainless thermos for cold water but since I can't "drink and drive" at the same time, have not worried about it sitting upright. City might work since the bag is deeper.

Don't you just love all the intracies of farkling.

OP
OP
vc_slim
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Robert, the T489 measures 350mm diagonally vs. 310 for the T480. That extra bit is what is causing the problems even with it shoved as far forward as possible. Maybe I'll just swop it out for the 480. Does the heated grip module even touch the bag at full right lock?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
Hi Greg,

When I mounted the Lock Ring all the way to the front the heated grip module clears OK. I did note that with the tank bag back like that the map case is partly below my helmet line of sight unless I crane my neck. I am pretty sure that I can move it forward a notch and still have no issues and it is only four screws to find out. As soon as I find the time I will try it.

Ride well,

Bob

Igo

Chuck, One of the things I want with a new tank bag is the ability to put my thermal coffee cup in a back corner of the bag and not have it fall out or fall over in the bag. Would that be possible with Day Pack II? I've wondered about the City and Kevin tells me the Vina would fit.
I stand up my 1 liter Nalgene bottle in a corner closest to me all the time. Joe Rocket Maxim.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
OK. I'm taking another shot at this tank bag deal. I called Twisted Throttle and had the nice lady get a bag in her hand and do some measuring. I settled on the "City" bag. With the lock ring placed as far forward as possible, it's about 3 1/2" to the bend in the bottom of the tank, and that's close to the distance from the gas cap to the back end of the tank and she said that the dropped portion of the tank bag drops at about a 30-degree angle from the horizantal, which is close to the angle of the back of the tank.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and burning candles. If you can set aside some time for special votive offerings on my behalf, I'd appreciate it. Twisted Throttle says they're willing to give me this one last chance, but they think it's time for me to get my act together.

Seriously, they've been great. Oh, and they sent me a free Twisted Throttle t-shirt to make up for the Givi missing part fiasco.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Cowabunga People,

As much as I like GIVI gear there are a number of other mfgs around who build some decent tank bags. When I had my Ducati I outfitted it with a small MotoFizz unit complete with a gas cap bracket mount. This mounting system places the bag just above the surface of the tank so the paint doesn't get scratched. Sadly the Duc went away and in it's place the NT appeared, sans tank bag. I'd originally purchased the Fizz and bracket from Aerostich so I contacted them to see if a bracket for the NT was available and sure enough, it was.

Here's a few pics of the bag mounted on the NT, I've reversed the bracket rearwards to allow as much clearance between the bag and the handlebars, GPS, etc. and it works fine. I'm fairly sure the HeliBars setup would fare well enough as I currently have a set of MCL's set-backs and there's plenty of room. I wish I could recall what the bag cost but it's probably still available; the Honda bracket ran around $45 shipped if that helps.

The bag itself is non-expandable but still holds a ton of stuff, comes with a rain cover and removable sunglass case. I lock the main compartment with a small combination clip designed for that purpose; it makes it a little more difficult for the bad guys to get into it. :eek1: If you're looking for a medium sized tank bag that won't ruin your paint and allows you to easily fill up the gas tank this is a great solution.

LL75 :smile_popcorn:

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've been very happy with the Bags Connection bags from Twisted Throttle. I had tried a Givi and it didn't work for me, either. Plus, it shipped from Givi without everything it needed to be mounted. I got the missing parts pretty quickly, but it just didn't fit right.

Here's a pic or two of the Bags Connection ones: The first picture shows the gas cap-mounted bracket and the underside of the City Bag. #2 shows the City Bag with the map pocket. The map pocket fits any of the Bags Connections bags. #3 shows the inside of the City Bag. #4 shows, but not very well, the DayPack. I use it around town and the City Bag on longer trips.

Last edited:
Top Bottom