GIVI top box using SW Motech adaptor

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I've read so many posts recently my eyes are starting to bug out. What I don't recall seeing is if anyone is actually using a GIVI adaptor with one of the SW Motech plates? Seems like the (GIVI top boxes) are mostly being mounted on custom made plates but not using the GIVI adaptors with the SW Motechs. Anyone?

LL75

Edit: I had to go back and unscramble this post, it was so convoluted even I couldn't follow it!

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
There are two different kind of givi mounts, actually there may be more but I'm only aware of the monokey and monolock.

With monokey top boxes, you can get a kit that will allow you to put any monokey topbox on a flat plate. You'll need to drill holes but a few aftermarket luggage racks like the altrider and swmotech are pre-drilled. The swmotech rack for the Super Tenere used to have the adapter plate but they did away with that and added the pre-drilled holes.

You just need this kit.
http://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=206&RetURL=search&search=keyword&SearchVal=monokey&bikeType=&bikeMake=&bikeModel=&bikeYear=

Looking at the swmotech rack for the NT700, it doesn't look like it's pre-drilled and you need the adapter plate.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
On the super tenere, they changed the design from this, similar to the NT700 rack design:

to this which accepts the kit I posted above, HOWEVER, some were then finding the top box would sit too low and interfere w/passenger grab rails but probably not an issue on the NT, assuming they end up changing the design to match:

Last edited:

elizilla

The first bike I put Givis on was a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre. There is no Givi fitment for this bike. I installed it by making two large flat plates that attached to either side of the bike, and bolted a Givi Wingrack to them. It worked really well and actually reinforced the rear subframe. Then I found those SW-Motech adapters and realized I could just put those directly onto my flat plates, and this would save the $200 they were getting for that Wingrack, AND allow me to mount the cases an inch closer to the bike.

Since then, as I have put Givis on other bikes, I've considered a flat plate with a set of SW-Motech adapters the basic standard - if there isn't something available that I like better, I just do that. My goal is to fit the cases as close to the bike's center of gravity as I can get them without causing some other difficulty. The Givi topcase rack for the NT, pushes the case about two inches higher than it has to be.

subgenius

My experience with the Givi plate - not good. The posts didn't thread into the respective holes completely nor were flat against the NT when screwed in as tight as I dared; I didn't dare try to force the posts completely in for fear of stripping the thread and not being able to back it out (or worse, ruining the hole the post goes into - part of the NT). Also, the Givi seemed to have a lot more parts that needed to be fit/aligned together.

The SW plate had less parts to align together, the metal screws/"posts" screwed into the holes completely and tightened down squarely to the NT.

I think this highlights the main differences between mostly plastic and "tinny" metal (the Givi plate) vs. mostly metal, well machined parts (the SW plate). Then again, I may have bought a Givi plate from a "bad batch" (heheheheh).

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
My experience with the Givi plate - not good. The posts didn't thread into the respective holes completely nor were flat against the NT when screwed in as tight as I dared; I didn't dare try to force the posts completely in for fear of stripping the thread and not being able to back it out (or worse, ruining the hole the post goes into - part of the NT). Also, the Givi seemed to have a lot more parts that needed to be fit/aligned together.

The SW plate had less parts to align together, the metal screws/"posts" screwed into the holes completely and tightened down squarely to the NT.

I think this highlights the main differences between mostly plastic and "tinny" metal (the Givi plate) vs. mostly metal, well machined parts (the SW plate). Then again, I may have bought a Givi plate from a "bad batch" (heheheheh).
That all sounds very strange, I've not found GIVI's plastic bits to be neither flimsy nor difficult to install. This will be my third GIVI adaptor plate, first one is on my Ninja, second is on my Piaggio MP3 500 both of which went on smooth as silk including the GIVI light kits. I've got the adaptor plus the light kit coming for the SW Motech plate and if if doesn't look too horrible it stays, otherwise I'll follow Elizilla's lead and use a flat plate. Farkle, farkle, farkle...

LL75

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
The GIVI monokey works great with the SW-Motech adapter. I added some household washers to the front most to eliminate the slight rattle. but other than that it is a great system. Easily removable with three Cam-Locks in about 10 seconds. I went with the 46L top box because the 55L changed the aerodynamics in cross winds. I actually traded My E55 for the 46L from a friend. The size difference is about 4 inches narrower. I will add some photos.
Dave,

Is that the 46L in the first photo or the E55? I've got the 46L and for some reason it looks smaller, maybe because it's gloss black instead of the matt black. Thanks for the report & pics, my stuff should be here in a couple of days.

LL75

Madmax

I also used the Givi E221 mounting plate. it mounts easy and costs about $99.00.

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Today was a bit on the busy side, after installing the BrakeAway cruise control I installed the SW Motech plate and the soft luggage bracket. During the installation process I followed the example set by others and fumbled one of the little squarish nuts and it disappeared down the black hole forever.:frown: This in spite of having the area underneath plugged up with one of those hiVis shop towels. Made a nice resounding clunk.:eek1: No sweat, I'll find it some day but in the mean time I was able to substitute a regular stainless steel nut & washer. Once on it all looks pretty nice so I'm going to keep the soft luggage rack and when it comes probably the GIVI adaptor too, can't have too many farkles!:D

LL75

Last edited:
OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Well Crapola, the SW Motech GIVI MonoKey adapter came in and the beastie's extension part is too large to fit into the corresponding receiver on the top plate. Since it's made out of plastic it would an easy matter to grind it down to fit but before doing so has anyone else experienced this problem? I sent off an email to Twisted Throttle asking them what they'd like to do and I expect they'll want me to return it for an exchange. Frankly that's more trouble than I want to go to but I'm curious if this is a common thing? See attached pics for clarification.

LL75 :p

Attachments

OP
OP
larrylarry75
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Well Crapola, the SW Motech GIVI MonoKey adapter came in and the beastie's extension part is too large to fit into the corresponding receiver on the top plate. Since it's made out of plastic it would an easy matter to grind it down to fit but before doing so has anyone else experienced this problem? I sent off an email to Twisted Throttle asking them what they'd like to do and I expect they'll want me to return it for an exchange. Frankly that's more trouble than I want to go to but I'm curious if this is a common thing? See attached pics for clarification.

LL75 :p
This is a follow-up to my own posting; I decided not to wait for a response from Twisted Throttle and using my high speed Moto Tool grinder I adjusted the fit and it all seems to work now. Still have a bunch of slop between the top box and the mounting plate so shims are in order but that won't be difficult. I also need to glue the 4 rubber grommets that go into the Givi plate, two of them are fairly loose and will probably wander off if I don't secure them better. When that's finished I'll hook up the wiring for the top box lights. Overall I like the looks of the 46L top box on the NT better than what I thought I would so I'm glad I went with the mount. Now if someone just had a pair of nice red pannier lids they wanted to get rid of...

Top Bottom