GL1000 project bike

rcase13

I am just getting started doing research on a project bike. I would like to get my hands dirty and try and restore an old bike. I would like it to be a Honda as I am pretty partial to Honda. There are a lot of Honda fans on this forum and I thought I would start by asking other Honda fans. I am thinking about a GL1000 Gold Wing. I want one of the early naked bikes without all the plastic bits. Or maybe a CB500/550. What am I getting into? Are parts easy to get for old 70's bikes? I am an average mechanic but willing to try anything. Do you think this is too much to take on? Any advice good or bad would be appreciated. Once I decide what bike I will start posting in those forums. I see a lot of classic Honda's in profiles so I figure there must be others that have gone down this path and have some advice. Bikes to stay away from etc.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I think the GL1000 would be a good project bike as far as parts availability and even collectible status for a later sale. Plus I still see relatively low mileage, 30-40K miles, running examples for sale. If I was going to restore a Honda I would consider either a late model CBX or early CB750. The right CB1100F just might catch my attention as well..:D

As far as what are you getting in to based on my experience with restoring a few old Mustangs and my 1980 Corvette it is a lot of fun restoring old iron. It can be challenging finding the "right" vehicle to start with, finding the "right" parts and can be very expensive. Depending on what you farm out, paint, motor rebuild, etc you can spend a lot of money...very quickly. I personally enjoy hunting down the parts, going out in the garage and working on old iron, and seeing the vehicle "come back" is cheap therapy for me.

The best advice I can give is to be really picky about your "starting point" bike. The better condition it is in to begin with the less money you will pay later restoring it. I would much rather pay more up front for a really good example to begin with then buy a wreck and try to restore it. I've done both and won't do a basket case restoration again. I would consider buying a cheap basket case as a parts "donor" bike for the project though, if the price was right.

I am on the hunt for a Yamaha FJ1200 to restore... Although my wife did suggest that I could just trade in the NT and Wee for a 2012 FJR1300 we saw at the dealership and save a lot of money...I think she is on to me...:rolleyes1:

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I had a GL1000 for a few years. When I got it, it had low miles - about 10 years old and mileage less then 3000. My biggest problem with that bike was getting the carburators cleaned out and working right. The idle passages were really cruddy. After that, it was fine for several years until I sold it and got my Valkyrie. It was all there when I bought it, had not been dropped, final drive splines were ok. I did add bags and a Vetter fairing to it (bought used).

I agree with Wayne about starting with the best condition bike you can afford - you will spend less overall that way and undergo less frustration. Also, the bikes Wayne mentioned would have more resale value should you care about that. Early CB750s have become collectable. CBXs are much more unique then early Wings. None the less, if you find a good example of a bike you would like to take on, then go for it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Early Honda's can not only be collectible but fairly easy to find as they made so many of them. I like the ones from the 60's but later ones will be easier to find and cost less. The CB and CL 72 and 77's, the early CB750's and even the Cubs are great historic Honda's but command higher dollar's to get them in good condition. I would guess you can find a GL1000 at a reasonable price and it would also be a good rider. I have seen several at Mid Ohio over the years that were priced attractivley. Note that you should view it as a fun project becase its highly unlikely that you will ever get your money back when and if you sell it.

A couple of good places for vintage Honda parts are

David Silver Spares in the UK
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

and Western Hills Honda in Ohio
http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/

Good luck

EDIT: Join the VJMC. Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club. They have a great magazine with a lots of Honda members. They also have want ads in the magazine and lots of how to articles

http://www.vjmc.org/

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Are parts easy to get for old 70's bikes?
Sourcing parts is half the fun. As mentioned, start with complete motorcycle. Lots of good websites for old honda parts, CMSNL in Netherlands.
-Overcome any fear of buying overseas from China, Thialand, New Zealand, Australia on ebay or other sites.
-When you get really desperate for that one part, consider buying another parts motorcyle. I've bought whole motorcyles for a set of better carbs, original exhaust, then resell remaining parts motorcycle.
-Pay no attention to cost, it will only depress you.
-Find a website that will cross reference Honda parts by motorcyle. Some old Honda parts are the same, but have different part numbers for different motorcycles.

There are lots or groups/forum with invaluable information for restoring old Honda models. Join them if you haven't already.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Overcome any fear of buying overseas from China, Thialand, New Zealand, Australia on ebay or other sites.
+1 :D I bought my Corvette on eBay and a ton of parts, including NT farkles, over the years. As long as I can use PayPal, and get their protection, I'll shop just about any where... Due to quality issues I have had with reproduction parts from the Far East, especially China, those areas are now off my list of acceptable sources though... I know you can get Chinese made parts from a US source, but they are a lot easier to return on this side of the puddle.

Pay no attention to cost, it will only depress you.
It has never depressed me. It has on the other hand caught the notice of my Minister of Finance a couple of times...I don't think depressed would be the best emotion to describe her reaction though...:rolleyes1: Corvette parts are notoriously overpriced, I learned a long time ago to say I have a 1980 Chevy with a 350 four barrel when looking for drive train parts... :D The cross referencing of parts is a big help in keeping costs down.

Top Bottom