Goretex questions

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Im thinking about dropping some serious coin on some high end gear. Does anyone have experience with Goretex laminate jackets? Pros/Cons?

Does it have to be maintained? Do you have to re-apply something annually?

I'm looking at Klim Carlsbad and the Klim Latitude

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hey, there! I have no experience with Klim gear, but I've had Aerostitch suits. Right now, I'm wearing an R3 1-piece suit. It does have to be maintained a little bit:

"To help your suit work best after long use and multiple launderings, use a wash-in repellant like Nikwax® or a spray for the exterior of your suit with Scotchgard® or a similar waterproofing preparation. For most high-mileage riders, an entire can of one of these products applied every year or two will prevent water from saturating the outer fabric and help your suit wear drier, lighter, and more breathable during wet conditions."

Back when I had the standard Roadcrafter, the only time I ever got wet was when I was wearing it will the underarm and hip zippers undone and we were riding in about a 30-35mph direct crosswind and a very hard rain. Before we stopped to get out of the rain, my right underarm and right hip were wet. Before I could change out of my underwear and t-shirt, the rain had pretty well spread all over me. A lot or people used to complain about the crotch zipper leaking, but mine never did.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Gore-tex uses a mechanical system to repel water. "Each square inch of the GORE‑TEX membrane has nine billion pores. Each of these tiny holes is 20,000 times smaller than a water droplet. This is what makes the membrane in everything in the original GORE-TEX products range waterproof: rain and snow simply cannot get in." Therefore, it should not require any waterproofing product application. That is to say for the gore-tex layer itself. Other layers of the complete product may. Check with the manufacturer to be sure. One thing is certain... Klim makes quality motorcycle gear and that quality has a price which is reflected in the cost of their products.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think the reason 'Stitch recommends occasional waterproofing of Gore-tex is to keep water from saturating your gear on-top of the Gore-tex. This keeps from getting colder while you're riding.

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I wore a KLIM Latitude Jacket/pants on my Alaska Ride this past summer (Aug 2 - Sept 5)......worked flawlessly, except it can be HOT.........!!!! The Latitude has tons of fresh air vents on it, which helps. Riding across Kansas on Hiway 36 was BRUTAL........temps nearing 100F. Cannot answer your question on material maint tho........sorry. I did use NikiWax to wash it when I returned home. You MUST be careful with what chemicals you wash GoreTex with.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The Gore-Tex I've worn, jackets and gloves, did need a refresh after a couple years of wear in the humid South. Here is what Gore-Tex has to say about how to maintain their product. Don't go cheap when you select a DWR...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Love my Dainese Gore 2-piece stitches...
As mentioned above is DWR important, not because the diaphragm, but for the textile above it; if that gets soaked it'll clog the diaphragm, hence your body's water vapor will condensate, making the garment feel damp and cold...
Also proper washing detergents are to be selected; the stuff you wash your jeans and bed-sheets with can damage the pores and/or detach the glued strips at the stitches/seams...
And NEVER use any softener, ever... that will damage the membrane...

What I swear by:

Gentle cycle, NO spin, I use the TX.Direct Spray On on dripping wet equipment, it's water-based, while applied one can observe how the stuff drives water out the fabric...
BTW: also their Glove Proof works exceptionally well...

PS: also the (long) function underwear requires special detergents designed to keep their ability to transport sweat/humidity away from the skin...

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Gor-Tex is a manufacturer of breathable waterproof membranes. My first shot at it was a jacket I got while still in the Army. Lightweight waterproof and breathable. Awesome. Gear made with it that you have problems with you need to go back to Gor-Tex for help. I never had a problem with any of the things I bought other than the price to acquire it.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
W.L. Gore is very protective of their products reputation and how it is used. Gore will not sell their products to just anyone and allow them to use the Goretex label. In order for a manufacturer to use Goretex, they must first submit a request for a license and then submit their product to W.L Gore for testing. During testing, if any deficiencies are noted, Gore will advise the garment manufacturer and allow them to make changes and then resubmit the product for testing. Only after it passes W.L. Gore's stringent testing will the garment be allowed to carry the Goretex label.

Mike

Just remember that Gortex does not like lots of flexing such as tumble drying or a sleeve that flaps in the wind when riding. Normal use, it is just great, but if you make sure you aren't wearing a flappy jacket your Gortex will last MUCH longer. Don't take that to mean you can't flex it. I had a great pair of hiking boots that lasted for hundreds of miles of hiking, maybe a thousand, before the toe flex area quit working. On the other hand, I had a light Gortex jacket that flapped badly in the wind that was destroyed on a hundred mile trip.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Ok the Klim jackets I am looking at are using a different technique for the GT application:
Its a laminate, which means the Goretex membrane is laminated to the outer shell of the garment instead of being a free standing layer between outer and inner layers...thus, no moisture is trapped between the outershell and the membrane
This prevents the body from losing heat to water resting between the shell and membrane; also it makes the outer shell shed water instead of letting it pass through. (which keeps the jacket frm getting heavy with moisture) And i also think maybe it breathes a little better since there's no gap?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
My "tactical" boots are lined like you are describing. Plus Side: My feet stay warm and dry in the rain and snow.:) Down Side: They get very hot in the summer compared to my regular unlined boots.:rolleyes: Since a jacket will offer much better air flow than boots this should not be an issue for you.

Top Bottom