GPS/Streets and Trips help

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have several trips planned on Microsoft Streets and Trips that I would like to transfer to my Garmin Nuvi 3490. I have tried every which way to get this job done and no joy. I have Base Camp loaded on my desktop so I should have all the tools that I need to get 'er done, but I must be missing something. Can somebody who is tech savvy with these things post a step by step procedure for doing this.

Many Thanks!

Mike

I don't know anything about Microsoft stuff, but I'd guess that you need to export your S&T file in a format that Base Camp can use. That's a gpx file. If S&T will convert to that format, you should be good. If it won't, you'll need to export the file to something that will convert it. Google will do that, but I don't know the details, so you might do a Google search on how to do it.

Just something to think about until someone gives you the correct answer.

edit: http://www.microsoft.com/streets/en-us/send-route-to-gps.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
George:

Thanks for the link. I found that link also, but the Nuvi 3490 isn't set up the same way. I have no "tools" button or "my data" button and cannot find equivalent buttons on my unit.

Mike

My Garmin only works with the PC software. Garmin Basecamp and the other support software. Those allow for route and POI file uploads.

Does the 3490 have another typs software that allows route uploads? If not you might still be able to do this.

When you plug your GPS unit into your PC you should have access to the GPS memory as if it were a memory card. I will show up when you double click on "My Computer".

Before you plug the GPS into your PC, build a route on your GPS and save it. Just has to be start and end point. Remember that name. Then plug the GPS unit into the PC. Browse through the folders in the GPS until you see the file with that name.

Get the route you built in Streets and move it to that folder. Stop the USB connection to the GPS and unplug it. You should now see that route in your GPS.

I export the gpx file to my desktop, then import it to base camp and use the Device Transfer button to move it to my Nuvi. Seems strange that there's no "tools" button on yours. They must have some other way to get to the options on the device. Garmin stuff has never been straightforward.

sort of already mentioned but just wanted to point out that once you export your street&maps routes to a gpx file you have and option: import it directly to the garmin unit and then from within the garmin you need to find wherever the data is stored (it is there somewhere, it has to be) and import it from there.

mungojerry mentioned the other option - fire up basecamp and import the gpx file to there, and then basecamp can sync it/send it to your garmin unit. this might be the easier option if you are having a hard time locating the "my data" (or its equivalent) on your garmin.

I successfully exported the gpx file to the "my garmin" folder. Then when I try to import the gpx file into "my collections" in base camp I get an "unknown error" message. IMHO, base camp is useless without "some" documentation on how it is used. I just want to find a quick and dirty way to import the file to my Nuvi without the base camp hassle.

Mike

I have not successfully been able to get Basecamp or Mapsource to read a MS&T generated GPX file. The GPX files work only if directly placed onto the device and then the device imports the file as a route. Not sure why the device is able to read the file while Mapsource and Basecamp can not. :shrug2:

I successfully exported the gpx file to the "my garmin" folder. Then when I try to import the gpx file into "my collections" in base camp I get an "unknown error" message. IMHO, base camp is useless without "some" documentation on how it is used. I just want to find a quick and dirty way to import the file to my Nuvi without the base camp hassle.

Mike

I have to admit I don't like Basecamp either. When I want to put a route in the GPS unit I place it directly in the folder.

Mike, you might try using another app to convert the S&T file to gpx. GPSBabel is one.

When you plug your GPS unit into your PC you should have access to the GPS memory as if it were a memory card. It will show up when you double click on "My Computer".

Before you plug the GPS into your PC, build a route on your GPS and save it. Just has to be start and end point. Remember that name. Then plug the GPS unit into the PC. Browse through the folders in the GPS until you see the file with that name.

Get the route you built in Streets (and saved as or translated to a .gpx file) and move it to that folder. Stop the USB connection to the GPS and unplug it. You should now see that route in your GPS.

Based on what I've seen from the Garmin site, you should
- Connect the Nuvi to the PC
- Once the Nuvi device is recognized in "My computer", place the GPX file in the Nuvi's "GPX" folder.
- Once the file has been saved to the Nuvi, disconnect the Nuvi
- Start up the Nuvi and navigate to the Apps or Tools area
- Select Trip Planner
- Wait for the new route to show up under "unscheduled trips" within the Trip Planner section. (The import after selecting "Trip planner" may take a bit so don't turn the unit off until you see the route appear in the "unscheduled trips".

Hopefully this works for you.
Ok, sounds like a plan, now how do I do this?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom