GPS-Zumo 665-iPhone4-Scala g4... what now?

Johnashea

hey guys, I'm looking for little technical advice. I have an iPhone (4, not 4s), and I have been using a garmin GPS unit- zumo 665. I also have a Scala G4 intercom headset.

in the past, I have just used the iPhone with the G4, and circumvented the GPS unit. primary usage was for phone calls and listening to music from my iPhone. My riding buddy recommended that I route everything using the GPS-i.e., Pair the G4 with the zumo, and then pair the iPhone with the zumo - in theory, all 3 would work together. This is what the GPS manual and the Scala manual both recommend. It's probably a bit safer and more convenient as well, since you don't have to fiddle with the phone.

Looks like there's a couple issues with the way it's working now, for one, I can't play the music off the Iphone playlists anymore, and have to use a micro SD card directly plugged into the GPS. Also no more voice dialing through the GPS... I spent about 8 hours I'm trying to get things working,and it's really not cutting it.

and checking some of the Internet forums, looks like there are some issues with the phone calls, not ringing, or not being able to play music after phone call, etc.

wondering if anybody out there has more experience with this three-way connection??? advice is most welcome!!!!

PS - don't forget Mother's Day tomorrow! :smile:

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I've been doing this for years with my 660. But basically the GPS assumes the phone is just a voice phone. It can import the phone book, though. For music you do need to put the stuff into a micro-SD in the Zumo. In the case of iPhone, it's a pain because the Zumo looks for mp3 type files which is not what iTunes/iPod/iPad/iPhone uses. So you go into iTunes and create mp3 copies of stuff you want, and copy them into the Zumo. Playlists need to then be constructed within the Zumo as far as I know.

In theory, voice dialing should work. This is something I haven't tried, but there is a menu item in the Zumo for it. When in motion I restrict my phone activities to incoming calls, which are easily answered. For outgoing calls, one must manipulate the Zumo a bit more to initiate.

tawilke46

I have a Samsung flip phone with bluetooth capability. I have a hard time getting the bluetooth on my Nolan N-102 to connect with my phone through my Zumo.
I may have to have the phone flipped open in order to answer an incoming call. I have not tried that yet.
Sometimes the Zumo and my helmet unit loose one another. I sometimes have to turn the helmet unit off and back on for it to reconnect.
I agree about the outgoing calls. I just take incoming calls and make outgoing calls when I am stopped.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Could you do voice commands with the iPhone before the change?

My set is very sensitive to ambient noise. If I am in heavy traffic the phone can't understand me. If I pull off into a parking lot it does fine.

Don't know about the Zumo but am interested in your experience as I am considering buying one.

OP
OP

Johnashea

hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yeah, I had no problem making any phone calls out just using the iPhone and the G4. I really like how things work individually (G4 to iPhone, no link to GPS), but for some reason just can't get satisfaction when all 3 are linked. I will try it out on my trip to Ohio at the end of the month, worse case scenario is I just wake up the phone to the G4 and use the GPS for mapping and direction. Rich, I did get the music working pretty well on the GPS and the G4-by doing exactly what you said. It's a bit redundant, but...it does work, it sounds pretty good. I'm going to try to disconnect all the items one more time, and try a new Bluetooth connection, and see if that helps. If I could figure out something that works great, I'll let everybody know! Charlie, I have the Garman 665-it is a pretty awesome unit. I have found that the touch screen is a little soft, so be careful to keep it in its protective case should you purchase one. It scratches pretty easily.

Top Bottom