Great Ohio Ride

Bike
Bonneville T120
I rode Ohio Route 78 today. From near I-77 to Nelsonville. Parts of this ride were as close to a roller coaster. Scarlet (the NT) performed well. The road conditions were good, but there isn't really any food or gas between the two end points.
I heartily recommend this ride to any and all.

docta

Dan,
Glad you had a great time and hope you can explore more when the opportunity allows. Here at the Retirement Home, we have been riding the twisties in this region for a long time and commend it to anyone who likes this sort of entertainment.
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/MidWest/OH/OH_6.shtml

elizilla

There are a ton of great roads in that area. I like 555, especially south of 78. And 83 is nice too although you don't have to go very far north for the twisties to end. Go south instead. :)

There is a restaurant at the lodge at Burr Oak State Park, where the service is slow but the dining room looks out over the lake; it is very pleasant there. Another decent place to eat is in McConnellsville, there is a old fashioned store front diner that fronts on the square, with both a counter and tables. I can't recall the name but it's easy to find and good and cheap for breakfast. What you don't want to do, is get stuck trying to eat in Glouster. Shudder. If you're starving there you are better off just hitting the Subway at the Marathon station. Oh, and another decent place to eat, in that area, though not on 78, is in Stockport. Just west of the bridge over the river, turn north, there's sort of a gravel parking lot, and there's a restaurant in there with great pie. I think it's called the Riverside diner or somesuch thing. There used to be a fancy place there at the Stockport Mill but their food got terrible and then their open hours got spotty; haven't eaten there in ages.

But yeah, get gas right there by the freeway, before you dive off into the hinterlands on 78. Or just north of there in Cambridge, they usually have the lowest prices in the area at those truck stops near there. Well within the NT's range.

Last edited by a moderator:

elizilla

Oh and Dan, you need to update your states ridden map! :)

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
Sorry for my cryptic comments on Ohio route 78. I’ve been on vacation and I haven’t had much computer time. We are stayed with family in Canton so we had to return from Athens the day after the last post. We chose to go east on US 50. The quality of this road if very good but it isn’t very exciting, though you do get to go through Coolville, Ohio (see my latest album). We crossed to Parkersburg, WVa from Belpre, OH and explored a little before heading north on WVa route 14. We visited the Fenton Art Glass Co. in Williamstown. Afterwards we crossed into Marietta, Oh and then the fun began. We headed north on Ohio 26. Talk about curves! They start a little slow but after you are a couple of miles outside of Marietta they are truly crazy! Our ride on 26 was cut short by construction. An old geezer suggested we take Ohio 260 north to the little (little being the operative word) of Marr, then get on Ohio 537 were we could pick up OH 26. We did just that so we retraced our path back to Marr where we continued north on 260 until we reached Ohio 145. North on Ohio 145 took us to Lewisville where we hydrated, then north on 145 to Ohio 800 which took us to Barnsville where Wendy’s offered up some fine cuisine. Except for a wrong turn onto US 22, we followed 800 north all the way to Canton.
These roads offered many tight curves and elevation changes. The roads were virtually all in good condition but for a tiny bit of gravel in a few places, mostly at intersections, so pay attention. For the most part the was little traffic. Unfortunately we did get behind slow moving trucks a few times, and what makes the road fun to ride makes it difficult to pass. Many of the roads run along irregular ridges and then drop down into the valley and back up to the next ridge. What a blast! There were few opportunities for food or gas.
Last Thursday, I went for a solo ride. I followed OH 43 from Canton to Steubenville. Fairly easy riding. The stretch between Carrollton and Steubenville was the best. There was some construction but that meant that were was also some brand new pavement. I joined Ohio 7 in Steubenville and went south a few miles to get on Ohio 151. It slowly winds it’s way up out of the Ohio River Valley. I think much of the country beginning at Smithville was strip mined in the past, so it is not forested and expansive view abound. Like most southern Ohio roads it curves and twists along the ridges and occasionally drops down in a valley and up to the next ridge. The stretch between Smithfield and Hopedale is fantastic. I followed Ohio 151 to Jewett where I got on Ohio 9 north. At Germano I went west on Ohio 646, a great road, to New Rumley, the birthplace of George Armstrong Custer. There is an informative Custer Monument and museum. I poked around in the old cemetery near the abandoned Lutheran Church and discovered the grave of Sarah Custer a cousin of G. A. Weathering has rendered the marble tombstones almost unreadable but the quartz sandstone headstones are almost pristine.
I continued west on Ohio 646 to Scio where it intersects 151. I jumped on 151 to Bowerson where I caught Ohio 212. Much of 212 runs along river bottoms, crossing an occasional ridge. In Bolivar I jumped on I-77 back to Canton.

What can I conclude from all of this? Virtually any state highway south of US 30 in eastern Ohio is a blast to ride. I can’t believe that Ohio doesn’t actively market this fact to potential motorcycle tourists!

elizilla

What can I conclude from all of this? Virtually any state highway south of US 30 in eastern Ohio is a blast to ride. I can't believe that Ohio doesn't actively market this fact to potential motorcycle tourists!
Well, it's any state highway southeast of a diagonal line you could draw from Canton to, say, Chillicothe. But the best of it is south of I-70 and east of I-77. I have spent entire weekends in that area. It was a revelation to me when I first went there - from my point of view in Michigan, Ohio is as flat as Kansas. And northwestern Ohio, the part closest to me, really is that flat. But southeast Ohio? It's fabulous!

I'm glad you did 26 and 260. I was doing the happy dance last year when I found they had repaved 260, and last month when I was down there I found the road crews actively working on 26, which needed it bad. So, yay! 260 is even better if you go the other direction from 26, and it has new pavement as well.

And yes, there was strip mining down there. There is a park on 78 east of McConnellsville, the Big Muskie memorial, where they have the bucket from the old dragline sitting on a hilltop with an interpretive display that shows what was done. The bucket is the size of a two-car garage, and the machine that handled it was the largest machine ever built, at the time. Truly frightening to look at the pictures of what was done to that land. The coal company has since terraformed it, installed lakes and trees and whatnot, and while it's not really quite normal, it does look reasonably nice. I think part of why it's never been sold as a motorcycling destination, is because of the coal mining devastation - it's only just emerging from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
I'm back in Maine now. It's always nice to get back home after a vacation, but I will miss those roads until I can get back there next summer!

Top Bottom