Greetings ... new member with a question about brake light

Greetings,

I purchased a 2010 Honda NT700V about a year ago. I kid you not literally a week before the pandemic started shutting every where down around where I live in Florida. I've been able to get out and ride mostly to work but also managed some nice day trips as well when things started returning to some normalcy.

I have about 27,000 miles on mine and she's been running very well until a little over a week ago I started blowing a fuse at random intervals. Particular fuse controls the dashboard and turn signals (10 amp fuse). So, I started doing what I normally do looking for obvious issues and reading the service manual. Since I was taking off some of the tupperware during my troubleshooting, figured I might as well do some general maintenance while I was at it. Here is what I have done so far.
  • Installed a new K&N air filter (old one looked like it had been in there for an extremely long time)
  • Changed spark plugs and found they were not correct ones recommended for manufacturer. Did see mention about a spark plug cable service bulletin note to ensure I had NGK cables and confirmed I have NGK cables.
  • Found previous owner had a 20 amp fuse in fuse box slot for 10 amp fuse. Replaced and checked all other fuses.
  • Found a shorted cable going to accessory outlet due to bad connection. Removed that completely
  • Checked all lights since I had a tail light go out and my headlight looked a little weak, so I decided to replace them. Seeing as I replace a couple, started replacing them all seeing as I did not know the age of other light bulbs (hadn't been changed since I bought the bike)
  • Finally, I noticed that regardless of using the old brake light bulbs or new brake light bulbs, the brake light does not illuminate at the brighter setting while squeezing the brake handle. However, brake light does illuminate brighter when the rear brake is depressed. I anticipated that both should illuminate the brake light based on my prior experience, albeit my previous bikes were an '82 Suzuki GS250 and 2008 Suzuki GS500F.
Again, all of this started when I blew same fuse multiple times after riding around. Having been able to determine root cause just yet and I'm continuing to research. I'm throwing this up here as a sanity check to see if anyone might be aware of something about this motorcycle model that I have not found just yet. Or just may have general suggestions.

I should note that an oil change was performed roughly last month and I dropped in a new AGM battery about 2 months ago.

Obviously, it would appear I may have some future opportunities to find other surprises or mods the previous owner made to my motorcycle. Alas, future weekend projects.

Thank you in advance. Also, thank you for having this website as I'm still trying to process the wealth of information here.

(Edit: Clarity on mileage)

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Obviously the brake light switch is where you begin your search. Are there ANY other aftermarket owner installed accessories or wiring? Honda electrics are pretty bullet proof but some owner installed stuff is <ahem!> less than professional. If you have the service manual, look at the wiring diagram to determine what accessories and wiring are on the faulty circuit. If the problem occurred shortly after you did some maintenance, you may have pinched a wire so reconstruct your previous efforts and look for a problem. Hope this helps!

Mike

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
jtdata

Please, take no umbrage. I write with the aim of solving the problem. The trouble is that there is no neat definitive answer. You are going to have to check out the brake light circuit. There is no need to replace anything, unless it is demonstrably faulty.

If you do not already have one, then buy a modestly priced multimeter. Go to YouTube and search ‘12v fault finding’, ‘how to use a multimeter’ and similar. Be careful, as on YouTube many idiots spout absolute bollocks. Your aim is to learn how to use your multimeter for fault finding.

I have not watched but this could be sound.

Happy learning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thank you all for the suggestions.

To add some additional details:
1. No additional add-ons as that was the first thing I checked on. I removed one which was a handle bar holder for devices but no electrical. Only other add-on is a lo-jack which I removed temporarily for troubleshooting purposes. However, it was tied directly to battery with it’s own fuse. No issues found with that equipment.
2. I had visually inspected all the visible wiring with a lot of the tupperware removed. That’s how I found the accessory wire had a short due to damaged wiring. That has been completely removed.
3. No pinched cables found during visual inspection.
4. Nick - no umbrage taken. Multimeters are great tools and I have a couple different ones that were readily handy which I’ve been using to track down issues on the bike already. Just wasn’t finding any issues related to brake as everything checked out last night.

This morning, I went back and looked at the brake handle switch from all angles. What I found was that the green wire was loose. Tap the green wire and switch worked; but another tap results in no brake light. The prong from the switch where the green wire felt a little more flexible than it should be, but everything has a more solid connection now. Brake light is now working every time as desired when the handle is squeezed. For good measure, I have ordered a replacement brake handle switch which should arrive in about 7-10 days from now.

I will do a test ride later today when I get home from taking care of some personal errands.

(edit: a word)

Top Bottom