Guzzi at the start, NT to the end, 4400 miles across the US

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hi Folks,

I posted a while back about an "opportunity" presented by my buddy in California to be given his 2003 Moto Guzzi California EV and ride it back to Virginia (see "Insane or Adventurous"). Most of you said "go for it, be adventurous". Some said "no, that's insane". The latter were right!

I flew to California three weeks ago, and when I got to my buddy's house, we put a new battery in the Guzzi and fired her up. Sounded great!!! Then, hold on, gas was dripping off the rim of the tank. OK, just a fuel line. Pulled the tank, replaced the line, fired her up again, and no problems. Took her for two long test rides, perfect. Until I left early the next morning and was in the Central Valley of California, and the bike felt kinda unsettled. The rear was swaying around, so I pulled over and found that the transmission spewed its oil all over the rear tire. No wonder it felt wobbly. Thankfully I was only 50 miles out. I stopped for some Windex and a roll of paper towels, cleaned off the tire, and made it back to my buddy's who had left on a business trip. I parked it in his garage (I had the code) and texted him. He understood. Even said "I didn't think it would make it".

End of vacation? No way!

On Sacramento Craigslist was a pristine 2010 NT700V, red, with 15,000 miles, recent service and new Michelins. I called, told my tale of woe, and the seller, in true motorcyclist fashion said "I'll come over and pick you up"! He drove 2 hours to Santa Rosa, drove me two hours back, regaling me with tales on his Gold Wing, and there was the NT in his garage with literally not a spec of dust on it. Meticulously maintained. I test rode it, said "excellent, I'll take it", Paypal'd him the asking price, loaded my gear, and headed up the Central Valley, which, at 114 degrees, was having a tough day. But the NT was humming along.

Around Mt. Shasta in northeastern California, I was detoured by this wildfire.

NT700_Wildfire_CA.jpeg

Stayed at Lassen State Park, cool in those mountains, then headed into Oregon. Again, very hot (100+), but the NT was just singing along.

NT700_Oregon2.jpeg

Then into Idaho, and those really lovely roads, some of the best riding of the trip.

NT700_Idaho.jpeg

Into Wyoming, which around Jackson Hole was like Disneyland. RVs stretching into the distance. I headed south... Yellowstone was packed and unapproachable.

NT700_Wyoming.jpeg

Into the upper right corner of Colorado, again really hot. So hot that the gas in the tank was evaporating and the bike stunk of gasoline. Then into Nebraska, and Kansas.

NT700_Colorado.jpegNT700_Kansas.jpeg

The weather started to cool off a little by Missouri and Arkansas, "only" in the 90s. Arkansas has some truly amazing riding roads, twisty and challenging. Pure NT joy.

NT700_Ozarks.jpeg

Tennessee and Kentucky were a combination of lovely twisty roads that would turn into four lane highways for a spell, then back into two lane twisties. Lots of fabulous riding in northern Tennessee and southern Kentucky.

NT700_Kingdom.jpeg

Then back into the Old Dominion, Virginia, and home.

NT700_home.jpeg

Total mileage was 4,410 miles over 16 days. Only one brief period on the interstate highway in Wyoming where there just wasn't any other option (speed limit 80), all the other time on secondary and thirdly roads. Average fuel consumption was 68 mpg.

Now I have two NTs.... I don't know what I'll do, but I love both of them, so for now, there are twins in the garage.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hi Folks,

I posted a while back about an "opportunity" presented by my buddy in California to be given his 2003 Moto Guzzi California EV and ride it back to Virginia (see "Insane or Adventurous"). Most of you said "go for it, be adventurous". Some said "no, that's insane". The latter were right!

I flew to California three weeks ago, and when I got to my buddy's house, we put a new battery in the Guzzi and fired her up. Sounded great!!! Then, hold on, gas was dripping off the rim of the tank. OK, just a fuel line. Pulled the tank, replaced the line, fired her up again, and no problems. Took her for two long test rides, perfect. Until I left early the next morning and was in the Central Valley of California, and the bike felt kinda unsettled. The rear was swaying around, so I pulled over and found that the transmission spewed its oil all over the rear tire. No wonder it felt wobbly. Thankfully I was only 50 miles out. I stopped for some Windex and a roll of paper towels, cleaned off the tire, and made it back to my buddy's who had left on a business trip. I parked it in his garage (I had the code) and texted him. He understood. Even said "I didn't think it would make it".

End of vacation? No way!

On Sacramento Craigslist was a pristine 2010 NT700V, red, with 15,000 miles, recent service and new Michelins. I called, told my tale of woe, and the seller, in true motorcyclist fashion said "I'll come over and pick you up"! He drove 2 hours to Santa Rosa, drove me two hours back, regaling me with tales on his Gold Wing, and there was the NT in his garage with literally not a spec of dust on it. Meticulously maintained. I test rode it, said "excellent, I'll take it", Paypal'd him the asking price, loaded my gear, and headed up the Central Valley, which, at 114 degrees, was having a tough day. But the NT was humming along.

NT700_Wildfire_CA.jpeg

Stayed at Lassen State Park, cool in those mountains, then headed into Oregon. Again, very hot (100+), but the NT was just singing along.

NT700_Oregon2.jpeg

Then into Idaho, and those really lovely roads, some of the best riding of the trip.

NT700_Idaho.jpeg

Into Wyoming, which around Jackson Hole was like Disneyland. RVs stretching into the distance. I headed south... Yellowstone was packed and unapproachable.

NT700_Wyoming.jpeg

Into the upper right corner of Colorado, again really hot. So hot that the gas in the tank was evaporating and the bike stunk of gasoline. Then into Nebraska, and Kansas.

The weather started to cool off a little by Missouri and Arkansas, "only" in the 90s. Arkansas has some truly amazing riding roads, twisty and challenging. Pure NT joy.

NT700_Ozarks.jpeg

Tennessee and Kentucky were a combination of lovely twisty roads that would turn into four lane highways for a spell, then back into two lane twisties. Lots of fabulous riding in northern Tennessee and southern Kentucky.

NT700_Kingdom.jpeg

NT700_home.jpeg

Total mileage was 4,410 miles over 16 days. Only one brief period on the interstate highway in Wyoming where there just wasn't any other option (speed limit 80), all the other time on secondary and thirdly roads. Average fuel consumption was 68 mpg.
Harry, was your average gas mileage calculate by using your odometer reading and the actual amount of gas you pumped into the bike or did you get it by reading the "average mpg" from the odometer. I've ridden in the country you were in and my all-time best mileage on an NT was 68.2mpg back in June of '13 on my first NT, "Dudley." I tracked 108,000 miles out of 139,000 miles on Dudley and my average mileage was 47.1mpg.

Then I got "Horse," NT#2 in late July and have tracked 5200 miles on it. My best mileage on Horse has been 66.3 and my average in 5260 miles has been 49.5. I used to ride about 7-9mph over the limit, but in my old age, I'm mostly riding the speed limit.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wow, well that is an adventure! I am surprised you found a camp site! Our west here, motels and campsites are filling up days and weeks in advance.
I must be doing something wrong. When I had my NT, I never approached one /two tanks with a MPG of 68. Loaded or unloaded. 45-47 loaded would be about right with the big lids, tall windscreen, and a touring load. Its still very hot and now very smokey in the west and getting worse. Here are the current fires. What I like about the "MyRadar" app is that you can zoom in and click on a fire and learn all about it.
current fires.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Nice story and lovely photos. :)

ps. If you read "68 MPG" on the dash display, that would be suspect because it only takes a momentary reading and NOT the average mileage for that entire tank. I use the old fashioned method: miles ridden on trip meter divided by number of gals used to top-off tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Harry, was your average gas mileage calculate by using your odometer reading and the actual amount of gas you pumped into the bike or did you get it by reading the "average mpg" from the odometer.
Hi Phil... at the start of the trip, I did a reset of the average MPG reading on the dashboard display (this is different than the "current" MPG reading), and then read that figure at the end of the trip. It started out around 70 mpg but then declined to 68.1 by the end. I used only 87 octane regular ethanol gas. A cursory division at the pump revealed 60-70 mpg at each fillup. I have to admit that I ride slower than most, and avoid high speed interstates. I enjoy the ride and look at everything around me, much to the frustration of the cars and trucks behind me. That is, until I met up with two BMW riders in Idaho, and we really flew along the amazing routes 21, 75, and 93. I smoked them in the curves, but they out accelerated in the straights. So much fun.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Harry, I downloaded the app "Fuelly.com" and keep my fuel stats in it for four of our past and current vehicles. My two NTs, my '09 Accord, and Joanne's '12 C-RV. It's quick to use and keeps fuel logs forever. It's changed in the last few years to be easier to use.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If I ride all-day on the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) at the posted speed of 45 MPH, I get fuel economy numbers in the 60s.

And speeding on the BRP is NOT a good idea because it is a National Park and not a place to get tagged for speeding. A good friend did just that and had to return to a local court in NC to explain to a judge why he was speeding! I had another friend who was tagged by a park ranger who was driving his personal car home.

Loved to ride on the BRP in the 90s but it has been ruined by two things: 1) too many large herds of cruisers that break the peaceful tranquity of nature with their loud pipes, and 2) a lack of money for the parks to maintain the overlooks which have now become too overgrown to see much.

John from Oregon

Hi Folks,

End of vacation? No way!

NT700_Wildfire_CA.jpeg

NT700_Oregon2.jpeg

NT700_Idaho.jpeg

NT700_Wyoming.jpeg

NT700_Ozarks.jpeg

NT700_Kingdom.jpeg

NT700_home.jpeg

Now I have two NTs.... I don't know what I'll do, but I love both of them, so for now, there are twins in the garage.
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Funny you say that. I pack a folding saw in my pannier to trim back small trees, but really need a chainsaw at some overlooks.
I love folding saws for camping dispersed or otherwise in the National forest camp grounds, but you are NOT gonna like what a range will say to you if you are caught cutting down things in a National Park!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
If I ride all-day on the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) at the posted speed of 45 MPH, I get fuel economy numbers in the 60s.

And speeding on the BRP is NOT a good idea because it is a National Park and not a place to get tagged for speeding. A good friend did just that and had to return to a local court in NC to explain to a judge why he was speeding! I had another friend who was tagged by a park ranger who was driving his personal car home.

Loved to ride on the BRP in the 90s but it has been ruined by two things: 1) too many large herds of cruisers that break the peaceful tranquity of nature with their loud pipes, and 2) a lack of money for the parks to maintain the overlooks which have now become too overgrown to see much.
Yellowstone and lots of other parks have been ruined by the feral govt/state and local juristictions not enforcing vehicle equipment laws and not maintaining our parks and building new facilities.
We are no longer 200 million people. And industry is selling 500,000 RVs per year.
Time to redo the CCC thing with people who are unwilling to work.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Yellowstone and lots of other parks have been ruined by the feral govt/state and local juristictions not enforcing vehicle equipment laws and not maintaining our parks and building new facilities.
We are no longer 200 million people. And industry is selling 500,000 RVs per year.
Time to redo the CCC thing with people who are unwilling to work.
My guess is that there are people who are willing to work who would sign up for something like the CCC. I think it would do a lot for our country's perception of itself to instate two years of mandatory public service. It could be military training, CCC, VISTA, Peace Corp, public education, and a whole range of other activities.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think something like the CCC would be a great idea. Anything is better than just a plain handout. A handout just teaches dependency. The CCC would teach work ethic, responsibility, social skills and self-respect.

Mike

Top Bottom