Guzzi Legend

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Well, another Guzzi finally bit the dust. And it only had 400k miles on it. :)

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=63090.msg963649#new

John Boettcher is one of those guys who rides everywhere. In Wisconsin he races on frozen lakes in winter and carries a baggie of sheet metal screws when he takes off on winter rides. His job as a field engineer means he travels a lot and he rides to most of his jobs (he even keeps a bike in Poland for his trips to Eastern Europe).

http://www.johnboettcher.com/

(Phil, check out his Alaska trip, done only a few days after picking up his first Guzzi)

The RaT-3 was one of those icons in the US Guzzi world and was the inspiration for my ammo cans and flat black paint and other useful but not very pretty mods.

Turns out John's engine was not toast, even though it was belching oil. Just a gasket. Could have been replaced for a few dollars. But, as he explained, most of the bolts and nuts are so corroded from Wisconsin winter riding that he decided a new platform is in order. So, even thought the bike was easily good for another couple hundred thousand, it will be retired.

And, looks like he will get an even older frame to start with, a Guzzi Loop frame. Will be interesting to see what he comes up with next.

FWIW, he does have other Guzzi's, he just liked the rat the best. Mainly cause he had modified the gas tank to hold almost 10gal so he could go 3-400mi non-stop.

If you can't see the pics on the thread let me know and I will cross post them.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
They are heavy, but, nearly bulletproof :) I like that they serve as crash bars and panniers both ;)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Charlie, thanks for the link. I liked his Alaska ride story.

Top Bottom