Half Covers

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I've seen them used by others during the gathering at Spearfish and I've seen them elsewhere - half covers for the bike use while traveling.

I asked a few guys who had them at Spearfish why they used them, but I've come to my own conclusions lately - and I want one. When on long trips into humid areas where there will be dew on the bike in the morning, a half cover will keep not only the seat dry, but also dew getting into the ignition switch and other electronics.

For those of you who use them, what do you recommend?

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
When I was down in Maggie Valley, both my son and I use travel covers: I watch the V twins come out and spend 10 minutes wiping their uncovered machines. We took of the covers, shock them, hung on a bush and had breakfast. Tucked in the stuff sack and we were off (of course load our gear too). Also many time with a night rain your seat is not soaked (unless you can get them to park covered entrance).
https://www.amazon.com/CoverMax-Half-Motorcycle-Cover-X-Large/dp/B001A3CPSQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1480217296&sr=8-5&keywords=covermax+motorcycle+cover

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have been buying the Nelson-Rigg UV-2000 Silver XL half covers. If you have a top box on your NT its a perfect fit.

It has elastic loops that go over your passenger foot pegs. I like those better than the covers that have the metal hooks.

Being that they have a metallic like silver finish they reflect the sun well.

The only thing I don't like is that they only last me about a year. Since I commute 12 months a year it is subject to temps from 10?-100?F. The constant taking on and off and wadding it up and putting it in my top box does a number on it. After a year the loops have streatched out and it the cover starts to crack. If you did not use one so much it would last longer. My NT is parked outdoors 24/7 so the cover is its garage.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/view/productdetails/virtuemart_category_id/103/virtuemart_product_id/868.html

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have been buying the Nelson-Rigg UV-2000 Silver XL half covers. If you have a top box on your NT its a perfect fit.

It has elastic loops that go over your passenger foot pegs. I like those better than the covers that have the metal hooks.

Being that they have a metallic like silver finish they reflect the sun well.

The only thing I don't like is that they only last me about a year. Since I commute 12 months a year it is subject to temps from 10?-100?F. The constant taking on and off and wadding it up and putting it in my top box does a number on it. After a year the loops have streatched out and it the cover starts to crack. If you did not use one so much it would last longer. My NT is parked outdoors 24/7 so the cover is its garage.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/view/productdetails/virtuemart_category_id/103/virtuemart_product_id/868.html
NOW you tell me!!

I just ordered that exact cover - - except in size large. And yes - I do have a top case, but when I'm traveling, I take it into my motel room at night.

Thanks!!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
How big (or small) is it when it's in its stuff sack?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
How big (or small) is it when it's in its stuff sack?
I do not put mine back in the stuff sack so I am not sure. I do however have a new extra cover (I buy them 2 at a time) that I can measure when I get home tonight.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I do not put mine back in the stuff sack so I am not sure. I do however have a new extra cover (I buy them 2 at a time) that I can measure when I get home tonight.
I'd appreciate that!

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have used my Nelson Rigg half cover for three years now. It has worked very well for me as I only use it when I do trips. Mine came with a stuff sack that is like a fanny pack. When underway I place the pouch at the front (bottom) of my topbox and the straps / belt wrapping around the the back and bottom side of the topbox. I use this half cover for both my NT and Triumph Trophy. This half cover has worked well for dew, frost and light to moderate rainfall.
Will it fit in the pass-through between the two panniers on the NT?

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hi Comanche,

The Nelson Rigg half cover when it is in the pouch will fit very neatly in the pass thru on the NT
Excellent!! Thank you, good sir.

Actually, it was an experience in your fair city two weeks ago that made me think about getting a half cover. I came out of my motel room in the morning, and found my seat sopping with dew. I also worry about moisture getting into the ignition switch, so began to think about the cover.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom