Handlebar Clamp with Power

Dav101

Just some really basic questions that I wanted to ask before I ordered Motorcycle Larry's powered handlebar clamp.

Since it is made for the NT700V - I guess the wiring is long enough to reach the battery? How much extra slack do most people find? Is it tight running the wires under the plastic to the battery? Has anyone performed a miracle and ran the wires with out too much bike disassembly?

Is there an inline fuse on the power wire? If so, what size? If not, WHY NOT? :tongue:

I have never used the powerlet socket before. Is there a maximum rating it is capable for?

I plan to use a powerlet/mini usb adapter for my GPS and a powerlet/SAE adapter for a battery tender for convienance sake.

It sure would be neat if there exists a mini "Y" adapter that split the mini usb plug into 2 so I could keep my phone charged while using the GPS during long rides with out having to run another seperate wire back to the battery for the phone. Do you think a little Garmin 330 and a cell phone might be too much sharing the powerlet's power?

Besides the GPS and conveinance of charging the phone the only other power draw I would have is for a gerbing heated vest and glove combination which I have always assumed I would make a direct connection to the battery for. And the heated stuff would be used infrequently.

I am kind of eyeballing the little 2 hole "vent?" in front of the left saddle bag to hide the female connector for that gerbing socket, as it would be a super easy farkle. I'm thinking if I forget to unplug before I get off the bike the connection will seperate easily enough and not land me on my posterior. :redface: :rofl1:

These are my only electrical needs. If my little gps and phone can share that one power wire from the powerlet, I am good to go. Or am I not?:frown:

Dave - 101

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Just some really basic questions that I wanted to ask before I ordered Motorcycle Larry's powered handlebar clamp.

Since it is made for the NT700V - I guess the wiring is long enough to reach the battery? How much extra slack do most people find? Is it tight running the wires under the plastic to the battery? Has anyone performed a miracle and ran the wires with out too much bike disassembly?

Is there an inline fuse on the power wire? If so, what size? If not, WHY NOT? :tongue:

I have never used the powerlet socket before. Is there a maximum rating it is capable for?

I plan to use a powerlet/mini usb adapter for my GPS and a powerlet/SAE adapter for a battery tender for convienance sake.

It sure would be neat if there exists a mini "Y" adapter that split the mini usb plug into 2 so I could keep my phone charged while using the GPS during long rides with out having to run another seperate wire back to the battery for the phone. Do you think a little Garmin 330 and a cell phone might be too much sharing the powerlet's power?

Besides the GPS and conveinance of charging the phone the only other power draw I would have is for a gerbing heated vest and glove combination which I have always assumed I would make a direct connection to the battery for. And the heated stuff would be used infrequently.

I am kind of eyeballing the little 2 hole "vent?" in front of the left saddle bag to hide the female connector for that gerbing socket, as it would be a super easy farkle. I'm thinking if I forget to unplug before I get off the bike the connection will seperate easily enough and not land me on my posterior. :redface: :rofl1:

These are my only electrical needs. If my little gps and phone can share that one power wire from the powerlet, I am good to go. Or am I not?:frown:

Dave - 101
There is not a fuse in the powerlet lead. I figure it's to allow you to cut to length and put one at the source end, which is what I did.

I was able to install the MCL lifters with the stock cables BUT there is a sheath around the lower portion of the front brake line that had to be "unstuck" so I could slide the hose upwards to take up the slack from below. (Mine is a non-ABS, by the way, and the line for the ABS version is a different part.)

So far I was able to stuff a Zumo 660 cable and the powerlet cable into the bracket where the throttle and clutch cables go. You can run these through to under the back seat pretty easily after removing the vented black cover on the left side of the engine. One screw holds this in place.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Here is what I've used. Works great, cheap, buy a couple. Mini Micro USB on ebay. I leave the GPS powered on until the phone is dying, then charge the phone with the gps running on its internal battery.

Burnsmoto USB Power supply. I use this to make the 5VDC to run my GPS & Phone. I routed this back to a Fuze Block under the seat, where it is fused. Also from the Fuze block, I've run a cable to the powerlet (never used), and a SAE cable to trickle charge (or other).

Just something to consider... a Fuze Block solves many fusing problems.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Dave,

I had my dealer add the heated handgrips from Honda. That put a wiring harness up front and even though I hadn't wired the powerlet up when I put the clamp on the bike, I later had my dealer's tech hook it up. I think he connected there.

When I got my bike I added the Fuzeblock and had my GPS (Street Pilot 2720) power cord hard-wired into the Fuzeblock. I also have Denali LED driving lights mounted on the front fender and they're wired to the Fuzeblock. The side panel needs to come off the bike as well as the fairing pockets, but then it wasn't too hard to get the wires run. I wired my Warm & Safe controller for my W&S jacket liner direct to the battery and have the controller mounted via Velcro on the left side of the tank, with the wire coming from the battery to the controller between the tank and the seat. In the summer I throw the jacket side wire under the seat.

That said, I think what you're taklking about would work.

OP
OP

Dav101

Ha this is great. Thank you all for the great information and suggestions. I am buying the handlebar clamp with power but not the risers. I like the stance I'm at. Sounds like it is going to work the way I wanted. I've got a little shopping to do next.

Dav101

Top Bottom