Handlebar Weights

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Should I use Honda Internal bar weights in after market handlebars or not?
I received a set of Police Handlebars for the VFR800. The VFR800, like the NT700 has internal weights connected to the bar end weight. I have ordered a Koako Throttle Friction set. This fastens to the inside of the handlebar with a short double wedge expanding friction plug (not end bar). I am considering using the original Honda internal weight bars (4.6 oz @), but they will be pushed in a bit and not be connected to the bar ends.
Think these weights might help dampen handlebar vibrations?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Frosty, I'd use the Honda bar weights if it was me. I think it's the weight more than their precise location that makes the difference in dampening vibration.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I did not put the internal weight back in when I installed the Koako on my NT. I did not notice any increase in felt vibration on the right side after the install.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
...conversely, it wouldn't hurt to have the internal weights back in place. You already have them so it's not as if you have to buy them!

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I think that I am going to use them. They will add weight to the handlebar. I don't know if connecting internal weights to the bar end adds to dampening vibration. I was wondering if it was worth connecting the Kaoko Bar End to the weight by some McGuyver method (short threaded tube coupler)?

For those who need to remove the internal bar weights, they can be difficult to remove. The right end with the clip has the threaded hole that the bar end screws into. The clip has two punched out protrusions that hold the clip in the two holes in your handlebar. You have to push the protrusions in before removing the bar. You can make a tool using a bolt, 3/4" (or appropriate size) socket, washers, and nut. Once the first inch is out, it comes out easily.

Handle Bar weights.JPG

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I would venture a guess that inserting the anti-vibration dampers into the handlebar without it being attached to the bar end weight would still work and be much better than nothing at all. They certainly won't do any harm inside so what can go wrong? :)

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
There is no science to dampening vibration in handlebars. It is a matter of chance. Loosening and tightening handle bar mount, steering head and even engine mounts will make unpredictable differences. Both the degree and sequence of tightening play their part.

Regarding the bar weights, leave them off then experiment by wrapping strips of lead around the grips. When you have it right, trim the bar weights to match the weight of the lead.

Top Bottom