Harley dealer with a Cb500XA

dnktng

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Scored a CB500XA at a local Harley dealer today. It's a 2015, ABS, 500 miles. After I get it home I discover it has Honda heated grips, Nice!.
IMAG0359.jpg

It's 4 months old, no signs of being dropped, and has a SW Motech engine guard.

I've heard Harley dealers like to move the metric trade-in's. They moved this one for $4800. :)

Sweet ! Congrats . I like how those bikes are layed out . Many factory accessories available. Short bike review please ?

Before I got my RX3, I had focused on the CB500x. Although sometimes dismissed as a beginner bike or an adventure tour wannabe, reviewers often ended up commenting the bike was really capable and a hoot to ride. It does not seem to have caught on in the States and really good deals can be had on new and low mileage used units -- like yours.

Congratulations on the new bike and do post a ride report.

The CB500X is too small to create much excitement in the American market but it's doing well overseas. Just for reference, sales of Honda motorcycles in the US constitute only 1.6% of the total for Honda motorcycle sales worldwide. The major markets for Honda motorcycle are India, Southeast Asia, and South America which is mostly Brasil.

Nice looking bike. Harley dealers here in Tacoma do not keep any metric bikes on the floor once they get a trade in they whole sale right out immediately.

I can't quite figure out if the skidplate/ lower cowl is an accessory or not. Being that it is used I didn't get a lot of say about the color, and I think there is only one choice for the 2015 model in ABS. I won't be spending a lot of extra time cleaning and waxing flat black paint. I like that.

While I loved the NT I've pretty much decided that my next bike will be the CB500XA. I still have my sights on doing the Key West to Prudhoe Bay run and I think that the CB5X might do a bit better on the 400 miles of gravel (Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay) than the NT. It's also a bit lighter which works well for me as I regain my strength. At my stage of life, life is a day at a time, but my next two goals is to bicycle from Orlando to Key West and back (777 miles) and to kayak the length of the St. John's river (310 miles). I'll wait till this fall when there is not quite so much liquid sunshine to do those trips. In the meantime I'm working on building up my strength and endurance. I too would like a ride report on the CB500X. Wendell

View attachment 10578

Here is my review of my CB500X. I'll try to reference it to the NT700V since that is what we know.

What I like about the CB500X:
- Ergos are nice. Knees & hips are more relaxed. Back is very straight. See attached pic. I'm the handsome guy in yellow.
- Feels peppy, really, in all the gears. Smooth power, always there.
- Really surprised how smooth the vertical twin is. Not much vibes at 60 in the handlebars. Engine & exhaust is quiet.
- Tried a dirt road today, and it went great. I wouldn't have tried it on the NT.
- I shouldn't have any problem getting >250 miles to a tank, others do.
- 6th gear will lug down to 30mph on flat surfaces without cha-cha-chugging and requiring a down shift.

What I need to get used to:
- Small display with a lot of busy information. I'm not a fan of digital speedometers.
- 1st is pretty low geared compared to NT. Need to get to 2nd and get going. The low gear is good to dirt roads, of coarse.
- Need to figure out some storage. Lots of options available.
- Space for GPS, switched power supply, etc, will be a little trickier.
- Going 60 mph on the CB5X feels like 80 mph on the NT. The breeze has been welcome in our heat lately, but winter will change my mind.
- Skinny grips, even with heated grips. I prefer fat firm grips.

Not what I expected/like on the CB500X:
- Butt is on a narrower seat. Rode for 2-3 hours today and my butt needed a stretch.
- Gas cap is not hinged, it just comes off. What, is this 1968 Honda?
- Insurance is about 50% more for liability only vs NT700V. I thought a smaller engine & with ABS it would be cheaper. If fact, my insurance doesn't even differentiate between the ABS and non-ABS model, therefore no discount for ABS.
- Needs center stand to make lubing the chain easier and will take up less space in the garage on a center stand.

Once I figure out some storage and gps, I think I'll love it. I don't plan on turning it into a long distance 500 mile/day for days on end, back road mile muncher. It's kinda fun, and easy to operate, and fun. Sorry, I've only had it up to 65mph and not on big highway yet. Highways have cars, and cars are full of inattentive texters...or so I've read. Also, I am an idiot when it comes to suspension and handling issues, so no valuable comments on that topic.

No plans to sell the NT, it's has a solid home and purpose.

dnktng - Nice review and you covered all the bases pretty well. Honda is going to be at the big AIMExpo here in Orlando this Oct so I hope to be able to do a demo ride on one. It will probably be my luck that they bring every bike but that one for the demo rides - ha! Keep us posted down the road on your adventures on it. Wendell

Back
Top Bottom