Harley in China

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
"The company announced on Wednesday it is working with Qianjiang Motorcycle Company Limited to sell “smaller, more accessible” Harley-Davidson motorcycles in China beginning in 2020.

The motorcycles will include 338cc displacement engines, which are smaller than anything Harley-Davidson offers in the U.S. The company said the collaboration is part of an effort to grow its international business to 50 percent of its annual volume by 2027.

“We’re excited about this opportunity to build more Harley riders in China, one of the world’s largest motorcycle markets, by creating new pathways to our brand,” said Matt Levatich, president and CEO of Harley-Davidson."

These guys are getting desperate

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
With the US of A being such a small market for motorcycles it very logical to keep H-D alive. I just hope for them it is not a return to AMF style manufacturing.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Interesting business philosophy with many cities in China banning petrol-engined two wheelers.
I would have thought that the major market would have been the big cities (Dealership establishment costs etc).
Electric bikes are the go in Chinese cities now.

Macka

Bike
2010 NT700V
The Motor Company is beginning to look like a beached carp. Flailing around and gasping for air.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
They obviously had a good, long ride at the top of the sales heap in US sales of large (over 800 cc) bikes but who knows a clear way forward for them from this point?

Personally, I don't think that dressing-up their venerable, V-twin as an ADV bike, sport bike, etc., for the US market is the way forward. And their electric bike was initially shown 5-6 years ago but as far as I know, none have reached dealers as a production model. For too long they've cultivated one type of customer who wanted to buy either a large cruiser or large touring bike and dealers became accustomed to courting that type of customer. Seeing how they rejected the Buell, I can't imagine dealers would be happy with electric bikes or bikes they cannot sell to Boomers.

I wish them well but selling bikes in today diminishing US market won't be easy - especially large, expensive models.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
I visited my local Harley dealership to check out the XR750. There wasn't one to look at. I asked the salesman and his reply was, we can special order one, but we need a deposit! Guess they don't want to sell them. BB

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
It is hard to get a foothold in a market that is saturated with cheap Chinese copies of popular Japanese manufacturers products.

Years ago anyone could buy cheap Chinese motorcycles or ATVs from outlets like Pep Boys. There are still many independent retailers trying to sell these bikes that do not meet the CARB emissions here in California, which means that they cannot be registered for on or off-road use in California. What's the point unless you plan on using them for use on Private Property? I personally do not have 100 acres where I could use these without any worries.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I wish Harley the best but it will be difficult for them to enjoy the success of their past.
It seems esp tough if china is going all electric.
The market (and the world) is ever changing.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have a club friend who worked for one of those Chinese distributors about 10 years ago. He said a lot of their repairs were made from parts taken from complete bikes and soon they had a warehouse full of cannibalized bikes!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have a club friend who worked for one of those Chinese distributors about 10 years ago. He said a lot of their repairs were made from parts taken from complete bikes and soon they had a warehouse full of cannibalized bikes!
Our local Pep Boys was the same way... They had repair bays full of cannibalized junk when they were selling bikes and four wheelers.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A bike with a 300cc engine is considered a "superbike" in most 3rd world countries where the most popular bikes are 100-125 cc and it's also related to fuel economy since the price per litre for fuel is so high.

OP
OP
Warren

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have a feeling based on the rendering of the proposed motorcycle that they are not marketing to the basic commuter in China but more for the upscale Chinese professional who will then get so caught up in the brand that they will soon move up to a big HOG and start dressing like a pirate :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Do they have a Chinese word for "ARG!"?

I was riding up the interstate a few weeks ago and was passed by a 4-6 H-Ds. They were wearing colors that said "The Next Level" and all of them were donned in full gear, including full-face helmets! The pipes were loud so I guess some things can't ever be changed? :)

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The website only included the Atlanta Chapter. Looks like an interesting group though, not your average bunch of pirates.

Mike

Top Bottom