HDS Pocket Tester

Has anyone found a source for a Honda Diagnostic System Pocket Tester, or equivalent?

That is, one that you don't have to trade . . . um . . . body parts for?

I bought a fantastic OBDII bluetooth reader for $19 on Amazon that I love. It links with any Android device, where the free app "Torque" reads all the data you could want. It works perfectly. I got spoiled by this toy, and I thought all US vehicles were required to have OBDII since 1996 or so . . . but I guess a motorcycle must not be a vehicle.

BillyDoc

bicyclist

The OBDII requirements are for emissions equipment testing. Since motorcycles don't need to meet those specific requirements, they all have proprietary systems.

I'd be very interested in that pocket tester, as well. A couple of guys from South Africa have reverse engineered the system BMW uses and sell an interface device which works with their software. The thing is fantastic. I had a stalling problem with my F800ST in hot weather. Several dealers looked at it and shrugged. I told them it was a fuel pump problem and they said, "Oh, no, it can't be that. We haven't seen that problem." I was able to capture a log of the system parameters while the bike was showing symptoms. I loaded the file in a spreadsheet program which produced a chart of all the parameters and graphs of fuel pressure and injector times. You could see the fuel pressure dropping off until the bike stalled and what was really interesting was that the injector time increased as the system tried to compensate for the falling fuel pressure. I printed out the results and handed it to the tech who took a look and said, "Yup, fuel pump." He replaced it under warranty and the bike has been flawless since. With these modern engine management systems, you can't tell what's going on without electronic assistance.

Top Bottom