head light keeps going off when driving

hunter1916

looked up forum to see if i could fix problem and i think i have now id'ed the problem thanks to you guys now hopefully i can fix it
thanks again
kieran from ireland

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Try cleaning the starter button switch.

I'm assuming your bike also cuts power to the headlight when starting, as do our US models.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
As I recall, it's not that difficult to remove the pod containing the starter button from the handlebar. It's secured with two Phillips screws coming in from the bottom...and use the proper size JIS screwdriver to avoid buggering the screw heads!

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
I had the same problem, recently. The cause was unusual. The gripping contacts in the fuse box were fatigued. Rather than dismantle equipment, I put a slight twist into each blade contact on the fuse. Now, it holds firm with no reoccurrence.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Try cleaning the starter button switch.

I'm assuming your bike also cuts power to the headlight when starting, as do our US models.
:plus1:on this one too.

Since you are in Ireland, you may also have the right handlebar light switch too. Either way, start at the switch and then work your way to both the headlight plugs and to then to the fuse. The headlight bulbs are on a sub-harness. You may also want to inspect those plugs for any signs of degradation too.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
It's a common problem.
Nah... neglect, outside parking, extensive (pressure) wash are making it common... ;)
Just direct some attention to them once a year...
Contact Cleaner (available at an electronics or hardware store, some auto parts stores) will often make it work again.
I advise seeking some plastic approved stuff... flooding them WD40 isn't a proper long term solution, might even make plastics brittle...
I made excellent experience with ACF-50 applied on the contact plates... apply a drop/thin film with a Q-tip...
After cleaning the plastic kinematic/moving parts get a small dab of silicone grease (or marine grease)...
The LHS switch-pod is a little tricky, there is a spring loaded steel ball underneath the indicator lever, wrap a towel/rag around when opening, other wise the thing might vanish into the vastness of your shed's parallel universe (like ball-pens, single socks or the notorious 10mm socket) ...

(just serviced the switch-gears on a '83(!) Honda Lead, which looked like being on the bottom of the ocean... :eek:)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I just cleaned the starter button contact on my NT because WVRider told me that sometimes my headlight was OFF while riding. I used aerosol electrical contact cleaner, partially disassembled that control pod on the right side of the handlebar (2 Phillips screws), then placed newspapers over the tank and fairing pocket on that side before spraying. Doing it this way, you can direct a minimal amount of spray right onto the contacts.

It took all of 10-minutes, start to finish. :)

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I had this problem, cleaning didn't help as it turned out to be a soldered connection on the switch itself had broken. I was able to solder it back and the problem went away.

Top Bottom