Headlights are blowing the 20 amp fuse

wrf

The other night I started the bike up and no headlight - either low or high. Everything else was OK. Replaced the fuse, head light came on and immediately blew the fuse again. Any suggestions...... other than just ride in the day light?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sounds llike a dead short somewhere in the lighting system. You're under warranty, I'm guessing. If so, I'd ride it to the dealer in broad daylight and let them chase it down.

OP
OP

wrf

warranty is gone last month - so this will probably cost me $$$$ - maybe I could strap a flash light on the handlebars? First problem I have had though - have 6k on it now and love it. Had a BMW R1200clc before until BMW shut down the dealer because they didn't have a big fancy show room. Nice move............no dealer close so I sold the BMW'er.

silverdevil

get an OHM meter and pull the fuse and check both sides to ground, or use the volt meter and pull the fuse and turn on the key and see which side is +12v and then check the other side of the fuse holder for ground.

elizilla

I think you will find a spot where a wire is pinched or rubbing, something has worn through the insulation. The fault is likely simple. But finding it will mean taking off a lot of plastic, so you can trace the headlight wires. The plastic removal will probably be more painful than the electrical troubleshooting.

OP
OP

wrf

Had the dealer check this out. I had added a RAM mount on the handlebars last year and had the wires under the clamp(duh...).
After sitting out in a rain one afternoon for the first time, that probably was the last straw.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Aha! The old "wires under the clamp" failure.... that'll getcha everytime.... glad your prob was so easily fixed.

Mike

Top Bottom