[Review] Helibar Pilot Performance Riser

prof98801

Thank you so much for the info on the Helibars and the installation. I will let Helibars know this when I call to order. I will also let the Honda service dept that will be doing the installation know of the throttle cable mounting bolt situation. Most places that install them have said that it should only take about 2-2 1/2 hrs for install. At $88 per hr, I hope that is all the time needed. For this month there is a $100 discount and free shipping until Feb 25th so I need to decide fairly soon.

prof98801

Took the plunge and had the helibars installed today. Total labor time was 2 1/2 hrs. They said the install went fine. First impression is I like being seated more upright and the handling for my very short ride back home was nothing noticeably different.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I had the Honda dealer install my HeliBars kit today, picked the bike up late afternoon so only had time for a short ride but love the new upright position. I already had a set of MCL risers but they weren't quite enough so I went with the HB's. At present the combination of the lowering kit, Corbin saddle, and HeliBars have transformed the bike into exactly the way I wanted it to be. Any riders who are shorter would do well to consider all three of these items, they make a huge difference.

LL75

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Time to bring this thread in front again.

I just bought a new 2010 NT and rode it 700 miles home. I knew before I bought the bike that the forward lean would be a problem for me - and it was. I was pretty sore by the time I pulled into the driveway. I have pretty much determined that I will get the Helibars rather than the MCL risers simply because I need to be as upright as possible.

However, some questions:

First, I plan on using the RAM ball to mount my GPS. For my commute, I don't keep the GPS mounted - only on trips.

Will the GPS get in the way of inserting the ignition key?

Will the GPS block the view of the instruments?

I see that Powerlet has a cable for the Garmin Zumo GPS. Anybody have experience with that combination of Powerlet and GPS? My current setup is hard wired, but I would prefer to have the "mount and plug in" setup the Powerlet and RAM ball system provides.

Thanx in advance.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Time to bring this thread in front again.

I just bought a new 2010 NT and rode it 700 miles home. I knew before I bought the bike that the forward lean would be a problem for me - and it was. I was pretty sore by the time I pulled into the driveway. I have pretty much determined that I will get the Helibars rather than the MCL risers simply because I need to be as upright as possible.

However, some questions:

First, I plan on using the RAM ball to mount my GPS. For my commute, I don't keep the GPS mounted - only on trips.

Will the GPS get in the way of inserting the ignition key?

Will the GPS block the view of the instruments?

I see that Powerlet has a cable for the Garmin Zumo GPS. Anybody have experience with that combination of Powerlet and GPS? My current setup is hard wired, but I would prefer to have the "mount and plug in" setup the Powerlet and RAM ball system provides.

Thanx in advance.
I can't address the helibars deal specifically, but I quit using a powerlet to power my zumo because (at least in the MCL case), rainwater and the like would get into the socket while riding and ultimately cause just enough corrosion to make the connection flaky. I went back to direct wiring, though with a SAE connector setup in the wiring to allow for easy removal.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
(snip) . . but I quit using a powerlet to power my zumo because (at least in the MCL case), rainwater and the like would get into the socket while riding and ultimately cause just enough corrosion to make the connection flaky. I went back to direct wiring, though with a SAE connector setup in the wiring to allow for easy removal.

Hmm - new one on me. Thanx for that one. When I hard-wired the GPS on my last bike. I had the connector flapping in the wind when I didn't have the GPS mounted, and I would get rust on the connector.

Did you Powerlet have a snap-on cover?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Hmm - new one on me. Thanx for that one. When I hard-wired the GPS on my last bike. I had the connector flapping in the wind when I didn't have the GPS mounted, and I would get rust on the connector.

Did you Powerlet have a snap-on cover?
Yes, but that doesn't help with the device plugged in. On the MCL the socket faces vertically up which allow rainwater to run inside. On mine the GPS adapter is always on the bike except during maintenance.

Top Bottom