HeliBars

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I am hoping on one of the meetings we have, to sit on someone's bike that has these installed. I have the Motorcycle Larry riser installed and it does a good job. I'm not sure if I need that much of a change though.

From the product page:
  • 2 1/2" Taller
  • 3 1/2" Rearward
  • 4 1/8" Overall net gain to rider

That's a lot of change in position. Is there any adjustment to the distance back, other than rotating the handlebar?

Chris
No - just rotating the bars as per usual.

Yes - it is a big change of position, but it's what I needed to be comfortable. I knew I would need them even before I bought the NT - I'd installed risers on my Burgman - something very few people seem to need. I added the Helibars first and saw how much it made me sit up. Then I added a +6 Cee Bailey windshield because I am up in the airstream a lot more (though I don't often use the Cee Bailey at the topmost position), and finally added the Russell Day-Long saddle. After I took a long trip on the bike set up like that, I found I still needed a back rest. I'd had one on my Burgman and needed it on the NT as well.

Comfort is a truly individual thing.

bicyclist

After I took a long trip on the bike set up like that, I found I still needed a back rest.
Did you put a back rest on the NT? I decided that I needed some back support for the long rides and tried a Mueller kidney belt type back support. Got it at the Walmart in Spearfish during the NT rally last year. At around $20, I thought it was worth a try and it turned out to be a big improvement over riding without it. However, it adds an extra layer in the Summer heat and gets some attention at lunch stops when I rip the velcro loose to take it off.:eek: If I were doing it again, I'd have the backrest option installed on my Russell Day-Long.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Did you put a back rest on the NT? I decided that I needed some back support for the long rides and tried a Mueller kidney belt type back support. Got it at the Walmart in Spearfish during the NT rally last year. At around $20, I thought it was worth a try and it turned out to be a big improvement over riding without it. However, it adds an extra layer in the Summer heat and gets some attention at lunch stops when I rip the velcro loose to take it off.:eek: If I were doing it again, I'd have the backrest option installed on my Russell Day-Long.
I tried the kidney and/or back brace for a typical seven hour ride to Houston, and found it didn't work for me either. I sent the seat back to Russell to have them install their back rest - which I like very much. I only use it for trips. When riding locally or commuting, I take it off. However, sending it back was the expensive way to do it! I had a 15% discount when I had the seat made, but lost all that savings and more when I returned the seat for the back rest. Having said that, the bike is perfect for me now.

bicyclist

However, sending it back was the expensive way to do it! I had a 15% discount when I had the seat made, but lost all that savings and more when I returned the seat for the back rest. Having said that, the bike is perfect for me now.
Yes, indeed. It's expensive.

Top Bottom