Helmet lesson learned

Bike
2010 Red NT700
It took a year and a half, but I learned something about helmets; It's probably not a good idea to keep your helmet in the garage when temps are routinely above 100...the innards of mine have come sort of unglued from the styro liner in the brow area. Not so bad I cant wear it, but enough to hiss me off at myself.
I guess it'll be that much easier to pull the trigger on a new hat when the next thing happens to it

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
So, how would ANY helmet stand up to constant use in the hotter, desert areas? I leave my helmets in the garage, too, but so far haven't seen the problem you have. Different brands, maybe? I have a couple of inexpensive HJC full face, and I wouldn't expect them to excel at anything.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Its an HJC IS16, but I dont care how hot it gets in the desert, when its 100+ outside, it's got to be way hotter in the garage.
Or maybe the HJC only had 20,000 miles in it and this was bound to happen

Last edited:

mbroyal

My HJC IS16 failed on me as well, less than 12 months old, just a couple of thousand miles. I purchased it last fall and it this spring. Sat most of the winter in my house. I don't think the temperature had much to do with it as much as poor design. The padding near the internal sun visor came unglued and kept falling in my face. I took it back on a warranty claim and replaced it with a bell. Every other helmet I have inspected since the padding clips into the front, not glued there.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My garage is sometimes hot when it is hot outside, but I usually keep the helmets in the AC. My HJC 3/4 helmet only lasted me about a year. The foam compressed and it no longer fits like new. My Arai has had much more use and more miles and is still going great. I will probably not buy another HJC helmet. I have had two. The first was a size too big and I gave it away.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I agree with the helmet costs, but, I have also spent a lot of money on a helmet that did not live up to it's reputation while my HJC 3/4 has been great and is still good after 5 years of almost daily use.

When I do choose a new one fit and function will be first and foremost. Cost third. And, yes, I will try on even the lowly Bilt helmets. But, I will probably end up with a Schuberth, Lazer or LS7. If none of those work then maybe another brand.

FYI, I NEVER leave my helmet in the garage/shop. It goes in the coat closet with the rest of my stuff. Garages have mice, spiders (including the more dangerous types), etc, etc. None of them are good for a helmet, not even counting below zero and above 100F temps. A good helmet deserves as much care as the rest of my stuff.

PS yes, I do understand that some people keep their garages cleaner than my living room :) Mine is not.

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
The most important thing about a helmet is safety, but one that parts come unglued in a short time make me not want to purchase one from that company. There maybe many good $100 helmets and many good $600 dollar ones, but find one that feels nice on your head, is rated at least DOT. I really not sure that argument: if you have a hundred dollar head buy....
The most important thing is to have one on your head.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have eyeballing a Nolan N104 for months now, but I am thinking about getting the N90 which is at closeout pricing for $200 at Revzilla

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The N90 is a very good helmet. I recently replaced mine with a Neotec only because I did not care for the drop down sun visor in the N90. Other than the visor I was very pleased with the N90 and consider it to be one of the best values in a modular/flip up helmet. Nolan has replaced it with the N91 which is why the N90's are on close out.

HAT

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Tried the Nolan N104; liked the helmet features and overall design, but it did not fit my head shape - too narrow for me. Went with the N90. Shaved just a little bit off the front to accommodate my forehead slope to a prominent brow and it fits quite nicely. Ventilation is good even for my hot head.

The sun visor would be better if it dropped down a wee bit further, but I've gotten used to it and it really doesn't bother me anymore, although there is a tendency to look under it when eyeballing the instrument cluster.

Overall, I'm happy with it. Especially since the price was right ($220) when I bought it earlier this year.

Harold

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
As long as the money is spent on a helmet that fits properly and is comfortable enough for you to want to wear it, then I have no problem if someone wants to spend $1000 on one.

But, it is wrong to assume that just because a helmet is more expensive means that it gives the wearer more protection.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
But, it is wrong to assume that just because a helmet is more expensive means that it gives the wearer more protection.
Hear, Hear!
Well said
When people say if you have a $100 head buy a $100 helmet, they are implying that people on a budget or who are frugal are not as smart as those who can and will spend $600-$700.
Its insulting

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I agree with the statement that protection doesn't vary that much with price. Several years ago Motorcyclist magazine demonstrated that the Snell-approved helmets of the early 90s didn't give as much protection as helmets that "just" met the DOT standards. Snells were so busy protecting against a penetration that they didn't cushion the brain as much on impact.

Snell revised their standards, but I don't think Snell certification is particularly valuable to manufacturers now.

I've got the Schuberth, but I got it because of other features instead of price or protection. Its weather-sealing is an improvement over the HJC and its (relative) quiet is an improvement over the Nolan.

Plus it fits me. That's the biggy for me.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I see people with out helmets, they do not look like the are enjoying the bugs, etc in there face. I almost always have to clean my face shield, covered with unknown slim, I don't what that on my face or in my eyes. I think some state do not even require eye protection.
Give me a good helmet, I like modular which can be a little noisy but not near as noisy at none. My present Evoline is about 5 years old so I guess I be looking for a new one soon. Perhaps the LS2 next time.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I see people with out helmets, they do not look like the are enjoying the bugs, etc in there face. I almost always have to clean my face shield, covered with unknown slime
I sure agree with that! On the Ride, I saw more motorcyclists wearing helmets than not, but if you took out Alaska and Canada, that perception would probably flip the other way. The number of times fairly big bugs hit my face shield directly in front of my glasses would keep me from riding without a helmet even if there were no danger of brain injury involved.

Once several years ago, I was coming back from Denver and was approaching a thunderstorm when I hadn't worn my 'Stitch but another outfit. I stopped to put on Frogg Toggs and got back on the bike to ride into the storm. I met a rider on a bike with no windshield and no helmet and no eye protection. He was riding with his hand over one eye, looking through the gap between his fingers with the other eye. About a half-mile up the road there was an inch or more of small hail on the sides of the road. I can't imagine that was like!

But I'll leap to another unsupported conclusion and betcha' that he didn't change his behavior and buy a helmet to wear after that experience.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have also taken more than one rock to my face shield. No way I would have wanted to take one of those in the face.

Top Bottom