Helmet Question

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have not given this much thought until a friend asked me why the off road/adventure motorcyclists wear a totally different style helmet. I don't have a clue.

I know that mountain bike helmets are different from road rider bicycle helmets. The mountain bike helmets have a "Vizor", which is really not a "Vizor"b ut an air dam which directs the airflow into the vents on the helmet. When you take this vizor off, you have a road helmet. I leave the vizors on because I like the increased airflow and am not as much into aerodynamics as I was when I was racing.

The off road MC helmets are radically different from all the others. Does anyone know why ?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I dont know, but maybe it's so you can wear goggles with tear offs? Just guessing...I have wondered the same thing myself

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A lot of the adventure touring full face helmets have a shorty shield that drops down but I'm sure someone could wear goggles if so desired. Unless you're moving, goggles can fog up very easily and to me you only need goggles if you're riding in a dusty environment. The adventure touring chin bar is no where as large as on a road helmet and they generally have a bigger facial opening probably to provide more air when working hard at a lower speed on the trails.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have an Aria XD-4 and love it. I even wear it on my NT. I wore it to Spearfish last year. You can use goggles with it by just flipping up the visor. I wear glasses so probably will never use the goggles. I love how much visibility I have with it. It is much better visibility than my older full face helmet. It is also very cool (excellent air flow) and light weight.

I like the Arai so much I am probably going to buy their 3/4 helmet to replace my HJC 3/4. The HJC barely lasted a year before the foam compressed and no it doesn't fit as tight as it should.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thanks for the Link, Rick. It makes sense. I just couldn't think of why the helmets were so different.

jwayne

I have the Shoei Hornet, the field of vision is great and the helmet is lightweight.

silverdevil

there is also different shapes for different shaped heads, the Nolan is more round, it gives me a headache. the one that fits me best is the Fulmer, more for oval.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Here's to hoping I will like the Nolan N90 I ordered yesterday. Unfortunately, I could not find a dealer anywhere near me that carries Nolans, so I purchased just based on research and the posts on this forum from those giving praise to their Nolan helmets. Revzilla had a great deal at $219 ($80 off) and if the size isn't right they will exchange and ship another size at no charge. I like that it comes complete with the anti-fog pin lock shield included. This will be my first modular helmet; I've always worn full faced helmets. I currently use a Scorpion EXO series helmet which I would not recommend to anyone. The paint came off the plastic parts on the first long trip and now the rubber seal around the base of the helmet won't stay on, nor will the forehead portion that holds the flip down sun shield. They do have a 3 year warranty, so I may mail it to them (if I can find the receipt or obtain a copy from the dealer) once my Nolan arrives.

--Jeff

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
... This will be my first modular helmet; I've always worn full faced helmets. ...

--Jeff
I just went the other way today. My last two helmets have been modulars but it has been a chore to add blue tooth. I found a deal on a Shoei Qwest I couldn't resist. The helmet has been discussed here on the forum. MotorcycleGear.com has some SHOEI QWEST with graphics on clearance ($249 delivered). Seems like a good price for a decent helmet (as long as you know your size).
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets?page=2

Top Bottom