Helmet to Helmet Communication

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Rick,

You could use the adhesive pad to mount the comm unit to the outside of the rotating chin piece. The only wires are to the speakers. The mic in most cases is a boom type. I just route it up under the chin bar. Depending on how your helmet is made the mic can be slid behind the padding in the chin bar (my Shoei won't allow that so it just sits at the corner of my mouth inside the chin bar area). Or find the ones with a slim wire mic for FF helmets and just slide the mic where you want it. The comm units have built in rechargeable batteries.

I have always wondered why there isn't a comm standard for Bluetooth when everything else seems to have been 'fixed'. Probably cause it makes you buy matching units :)

bicyclist

We can go to the 3 flags comm system.
Good decision. My old riding partner and I have managed to travel tens of thousands of miles together over the years communicating the basics with a few hand signs. For anything more complicated, we stop and talk to each other. That method works fine and we never have to spend time charging comm devices or fixing wiring or dealing with the other annoyances that too much technology brings. We experimented with comm at one point and decided that it was more trouble than it was worth. As long as you can see each other, you should be able to communicate the necessities and if you can't see each other, Bluetooth won't do you any good. How's that for a Luddite view?

One rule of thumb that works for us is that if we become separated, we go back to the last place we saw each other.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
One rule of thumb that works for us is that if we become separated, we go back to the last place we saw each other.
That makes sense...unless one of you last saw the other one at a different place from where the other saw the one. :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes, you can easily do without a comm system. But, the comm makes the trip much, much more enjoyable. Using the comm's to coordinate the ride is less than 1/10th of what we use it for. It is so we can talk to each other while on the ride. What we see, what we remembered, and just regular chit chat. For my brother and I it is our "bonding" time. The only time we really get together is on motorcycle rides, so the comm is a HUGE part of the ride for us.

On any other ride I would only use my comm for the phone and music. I don't mind not talking to anyone on a bike ride :)

Top Bottom