Help! Broken Pannier Latch

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Re: Help!

That road isn't looking too bad to me...that is what the Connie has....
It's possible to see about 1/2 or more of the metal latching bracket on each side but the mounting towers are buried under that bracket so impossible to see. I'll make some hard copy prints or better yet download them into my netbook and bring that along. I used JB weld, the normal variety, found in any hardware store or even Kroger's and one side has been repaired for more than a year without coming loose. I'm thinking about doing something similar - but without studs - for the raised areas that hold the metal loops on the lids.

All of this is a pain-in-the-rear but the other choice is to install external luggage latches/w keys and I don't want to go down that road!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Re: Help! Brokent Pannier Latch

We can have a latch-improvement session at Spearfish!

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Re: Help! Brokent Pannier Latch

I have looked and looked, but I can't find the thread where a previous member installed latches on the outside of his panniers and maybe even gave a link to where he bought his. I want to try that, and some tips would be appreciated

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3

Another solution we saw at the Pre-National Rally Rally last weekend came from Richard Smith (U20417 on the Forum) from OKC. He had a flat strap that wrapped around (I think) a wooden dowel in the bottom of the pannier, came out the bottom, wrapped up around the pannier and then hooked in around the passenger grabrail. I couldn't see any way that it could fail and it didn't really depend on the latch working (although his still did).
Using Richard Smith's idea this is what I came up with.

DSCN1366.JPGDSCN1370.JPGDSCN1372.JPGDSCN1373.JPGDSCN1374.JPG

ccRider246

Same thing just happened to me. The rear latch on the left cover broke off. I found it when I opened the cover. I had to place the latch back in position on the lid and close the lid to get the key out. I have been so careful about closing the covers making certain that the gap was even before gently closing. I will have to find a suitable alternative that will allow me to lock the covers. That is the only side my computer will fit. I will have to switch to a backpack until I get this resolved. I will be watching this thread for a better solution.

ccRider246

CC are you saying that the latch retention supports (shown circled) broke?
Exactly, I will send a picture tonight. The screws are intact in the latch but the plastic behind the latch on the panel lid sheared. I can place it back in position and get the lid to close and lock. Without it in place I could not get the lid to lock when closed.

ccRider246

great idea...I will take a closer look at that this weekend. Thanks.

ccRider246

This is how my latch broke. I am thinking just epoxy it in place as is.
latch_web.jpg

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
That's exactly how mine broke. I just bought epoxy that was for plastic. I put the broken piece in place and filled the void behind it to the brim, then I poured more all around and built it up.

Bike
Bonneville T120

When iturned the key and opened the lid, the front catch piece on the inside of the lid broke off,
This also happened to mine last week, also on a trip, 1000 miles from home. Same thing. I was unlocking the lid and when it opened the plastic mount for the metal part of the locking mechanism sheared off. I was shocked. I didn't understand what happened. I hadn't forced anything.

Anyway, I repaired it with some quick set epoxy. After 5 minutes it could be used and it attained maximum strength in 24 hours. Once the locking mechanism was thoroughly cleaned and lubricated with dry silicon lube it's been working fine.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I wish I would have seen this thread before mine failed last week. Interesting that I came up with the same solution.
It's also interesting that this happened to several of us at the same time.

ccRider246

Anyway, I repaired it with some quick set epoxy. After 5 minutes it could be used and it attained maximum strength in 24 hours. Once the locking mechanism was thoroughly cleaned and lubricated with dry silicon lube it's been working fine.
Repaired it Friday night - better than new after the dry slide...thanks:cool:

kenstone

Has anyone asked Honda for a response on this latch issue?
I'm sure the dealers have :smile:
But most dealers are not willing to share info, and may have a factory fix we'll never know about, other than the same new parts, unless someone whines/complains enough to get something different done.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Due to all the discussions about the cracking of the latch mounting posts in the lids I gave mine a close inspection over the weekend and discoved a small crack starting in one of them. I am going to attemp to preempt them from breaking off by filling all the wells with epoxy and reinforcing the outsides of the posts with epoxy as well.

Top Bottom