Help with Reconstruction

Hello fellow bikers, I had an accident 2 weeks before. I am alright. The bike fell hard on its side but did not hit anything. The front of it is damaged. It all happened so quick so I don't remember how it fell. I hit the front disc breaks hard and the bike tried to turn and I think it fell on one side and then flipped to other side hard. It seems structurally fine, just the cowls and some damage to handlebar and rear brake peg.

Had only liability insurance did not take property damage coverage (not a smart decision). Took the bike to the dealer, he estimates the repair to cost $6,000 . Bought it only for $3,500. I love this bike and can't imagine this to be salvaged. I love to build it back. I admire how Natalie was fixed. Any help with ideas and suggestions on what to do to build it back - with the parts, where to get them, estimates on pricing , would be so helpful.Thank you!

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Raja, it's going to be expensive. šŸ˜¢ I was hit by a very small mule deer buck south of Buena Vista, CO, in 2016. It was high noon and traffic was leaving and entering white water rafting centers on the Colorado River. This little girl popped out of the northbound traffic about 10 feet in front of me. I was doing about 50mph and hadn't slowed by more than a couple mph when I hit him. He tore up the cowling along the headlight, broke the instrument cowl in 2-3 pieces, broke off the left mirror, and a few other things. His antlers came through all that and smacked me in the left hand. I didn't go down. My hand swelled up and turned black almost instantly, but I could move all my fingers, so decided that it couldn't be broken.

I was on my way to Tombstone to ride in the Southern California Motorcycle Association's 3-Flags Tour. I rode another 325 miles to Los Lunas, south of Albuquerque. The next morning I figured out I was going to be able to ride any farther. A local ER explained to me that I had what was technically called a "Shattered hand." Fixing the hand cost me about $1200. State Farm got the bike to a Honda dealer in Albuquerque. They fixed it for about $2800. I doubt if you'll be able to find all the parts you need new. Check EBay and Craig's List for parts.

You might come out ahead by buying a good used bike and parting out this one. I'm glad you're OK. Good luck on fixing the bike or replacing it.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I assume this accident took place at a fairly low speed? One thing to keep in mind for the future is that applying too much front brake at a low speed usually results in the steering turning to one side or the other and the bike falling. Yes, you can apply full front brake, such as in an emergency stop, but have to be prepared for it by bracing your arms.

I agree with Phil about possibly finding a "donor bike" from which you can remove plastic parts to replace your upper fairing halves. Those upper fairing halves, left & right, are the biggest plastic pieces on the bike. Or you might think about your good parts being transferred to that bike?

Good luck on this project because it'll take a while. :thumb:

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If you are not in a hurry, you can likely find the necessary parts at fairly reasonable prices but it will take some searching. Try Ebay and then look online for motorcycle salvage yards. Glad you weren't seriously hurt. Bikes are fixable or replaceable.

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Any help with ideas and suggestions on what to do to build it back - with the parts, where to get them, estimates on pricing , would be so helpful.
I'm with @mikesim there, remove all damaged fairing & parts, determine what's salvageable, search eBay & breakers for the rest...
Some might require replacement with OEM parts though...

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
A local ER explained to me that I had what was technically called a "Shattered hand." Fixing the hand cost me about $1200. State Farm got the bike to a Honda dealer in Albuquerque. They fixed it for about $2800.
Phil that is amazing you could get your hand fixed cheaper than the bike. Avoid those critters.

Raja those fairing parts are costly. Take your time and do some looking for used stuff. And possibly be a bit creative with colors if needed.

Arknt

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Phil that is amazing you could get your hand fixed cheaper than the bike. Avoid those critters.

Arknt
Well, it would have been amazing, but not only can I not type, but I can't read. The hand was $12,000.

Bike
'10 NT700, '02 BMW 1150GS
I recently bought mine for about the same price, knowing that even a modest crash will send it to the salvage yard. It's the game you play with old, discontinued, fully faired bikes.

OP
OP
Thank you everyone for your help. I sincerely appreciate it. Lesson learnt. Have a safe ride!

Top Bottom