Highway Ride Quality

Bike
2010 NT700V
Or was it her fists hitting your helmet :)

The speeds in my post above are from the GPS. The bike and GPS are within 1 mph of each other.
YUP!!
No intercom. We communicate the old fashioned way.

SCDAUB

FWIW.... 90% of my commute is on I-85 from West point to Opelika Alabama. So.... Here are some of the observations I have found, again these are my personal views and treat them as such....
1. 75mph = 5200 rpm
2. 80mph = 5500 rpm
3. 85mph = 6000 rpm
4. Handle bar vibrations (to me) are between 70 - 80 mph
5. Fuel consumption goes DOWN after 70mph.... 70 and less 50+ 70 and up 47 or less.
6. it handles the wind very well.
7. fuel computer is about 5mpg off (to the generous side)
8. Stock seat had to go.. i got a Corbin.. a BIG improvement.
9. Cee Bailey 2" clear was PERFECT for me. I leave it in the next to top spot.
10. I get about 10k miles outta my tires... Front still "good" but I replace both at the same time. You only have a 1" square patch of rubber keeping you attached to asphalt.... I will spend a few extra to make sure that patch is the best it can be.
11. Top box does NOT affect wind or ride and is VERY needed.
12. I cruise @ 80mph and can pass easily... and have been passed easily... so... a wash.
13. For the money, your not going to find another bike that does everything the NT does as well as it does it.
14. Heat management is excellent as compared to other bikes.

Are there other bikes out there that do things better.. sure... BUT at what cost. The NT gets VERY good Mpg.... and is quite forgiving on road, wind and lighting conditions. I have never felt "unsure" and have taken it on several long rides... 300+ miles on way.

The ONLY other bike I would even think about would be the ST1300.

What could be improved?

1. Electric windshield
2. larger lids to store a full sized helmet
3. 6 gal tank
4. Lower cowl / foot protection options...
5. Stock HID lights (added mine.. insane bright)
6. Slightly better vibration isolation.. as in rubber mounts for engine..

Like I said, these are wish lists and my views.
Have an awesome day riding!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
What could be improved?

1. Electric windshield
2. larger lids to store a full sized helmet
3. 6 gal tank
4. Lower cowl / foot protection options...
5. Stock HID lights (added mine.. insane bright)
6. Slightly better vibration isolation.. as in rubber mounts for engine
I would like to see the things you mention as stock, SCDAUB. I've spent money buying the big lids and the OEM undercowl from Honda of Bournemouth, UK, to address you #2 and #4. I keep thinking about getting an auxiliary gas tank and would probably go for a 3 gallon auxiliary. 350 + a bit would be an awesome amount of range and would usually outlast my other pressing biological needs. :)

OP
OP
gcantella
Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
Funny enough, the stock seat is more comfortable to me than the low seat I had on the RT. So right now, my bottom is happy. I will look into the bigger lids so that I can stuff a little more into the side cases.

The more I ride this bike, the more I like it. As I said before (somewhere), I hope Honda is reading this forum. It would be ashame if they never resume importing this bike. Maybe they are developing a replacement for it, something with just a few more CCs and/or a 6th gear, and a slightly bigger gas tank. They have a great bike here, so not too much tinkering, please. Don't want to turn this bike into an ST, after all; that would miss the whole point of sport touring with a very good, fun, affordable bike.

Top Bottom