Honda Collection Hall (at Twin Ring Motegi) Collection Videos

Bike
2010 NT700V
I just found this. Super neat seeing all the bikes we didn't get.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It was my second at 16. I started with its little brother the S65.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The Honda horizontal engine in 50 & 90 sizes was completely bulletproof and just ran and ran and ran. They had a lot to do with dispelling the commonly-held idea that Japanese products were junk and would fail quickly.

My cousin bought a new Honda MiniTrail 50 for his kids (3) and they rode that thing almost daily for years until the chassis was total junk but the engine still ran fine!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I agree! Honda, more than anyone other than perhaps the Japanese camera companies created the mindset in the US that made in Japan meant superb quality.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I never had one but Sony made its name with a tiny portable, transistor radio that was about the size of a pack of cigarettes, about 5x smaller than the normal portable radio of that era. It opened the doors similar to what the Cub 50 did for Honda.

Perhaps unknown to most but cheap junk was still being made in Japan in the 60s-70s but their export board no long allowed that stuff to come to America.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I never had one but Sony made its name with a tiny portable, transistor radio that was about the size of a pack of cigarettes, about 5x smaller than the normal portable radio of that era. It opened the doors similar to what the Cub 50 did for Honda.

Perhaps unknown to most but cheap junk was still being made in Japan in the 60s-70s but their export board no long allowed that stuff to come to America.
That was a wise move on their part. I remember the oval gold foil stickers on their cameras that attested to the fact that the camera passed all Japanese quality tests.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I was a junior in high school ('59-'60), I was working for a photographer and a good friend was our HS Annual Staff Photographer. My buddy Bill was using a Roleiflex and a huge strobe with an even larger battery pack for his annual photography.

I noticed that Sears had what looked like a pretty good camera -- a "Tower by Olympus" -- and bought one. It was a 35mm rangefinder camera with an f2.8 Zuiko lens. I started taking it to school and people got used to seeing me with it and quit "posing" for pictures. I was using Kodak Plus-X film at ASA 160 and getting some great candid shots. Before I knew it, I was on the HS Annual Staff. My boss saw some of my shots and got interested in my camera. He did some lens resolution tests and learned that my $69 Tower by Olympus' lens was as sharp as his $400 Leica's Zeiss lens. That camera worked great until my son was carrying it by using its neck strap as a hand strap and swung it into a rock in Yosemite NP and busted the shutter in '79.

I just bought an Olympus camera again and the quality is still superb. But the price has gone up a tad. Just the camera body cost me $450. By the time I bought a base lens (14-42mm zoom) and a telephoto zoom (40-150mm), I'm into the system for close to $700.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Olympus cameras were good stuff. If you had a Nikon, Minolta, Canon or Olympus you couldn't go wrong. I still have my Nikon SLR from many moons ago and it still works great. 35mm film is getting hard to get though.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I think that Honda may a big mistake not importing the CX500E to the US. I was a much sleeker and sexier model than the ones were got.

I also lusted over the Turbo models back in the early 90s. They were rare and far in between at that time.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Olympus cameras were good stuff. If you had a Nikon, Minolta, Canon or Olympus you couldn't go wrong. I still have my Nikon SLR from many moons ago and it still works great. 35mm film is getting hard to get though.

Mike
I still have my Pentax that I bought in Vietnam

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
I remember back in 2012 people remarking how the NC700X "frunk" was a neat idea. I had no idea they had already been doing that, back in 1991.

Bike
2010 silver NT700

Those original Sony Walkmans are worth a lot of money nowadays. I still have an Aiwa and Panasonic version that sound great. I collect vintage audio, and have a lot of expensive stuff. But the best sounding amplifier I have, is a 1958 US built HH Scott integrated stereo tube amplifier. Nothing else comes close.

Top Bottom