Honda Goldwing...

luvmynt

Hello

I have been thinking of buying Honda Goldwing. Some of you have lots of experience with the Goldwing. Please give me advise on what to look for?
Pros vs Cons of Goldwing.
How does it compare to NT700V? (I know this is comparing apple to oranges).
I love the NT in the twist turns but on long trip I find the wind buffeting very uncomfortable. I have tired a larger windshield but it has not helped. I am 6' 2" and 260lbs. Not sure how the Goldwing 29" seat height would work for me.

Thanks.

Bike
2011 NT
Seat height should be no problem for you. But you would want cruiser pegs on a Wing to stretch those long legs. The NT is easier to do the twisties with but the 1800 Wing does a real good job. Had an 01 that I sold before I got my NT. The stock seat worked good for me but you may want a custom made one. One size does not fit all. You will like the criuise control, radio and reverse.

Bike
2010 NT700V
We have a 2004 1800 with Lehman trike conversion. Has 51000 on it and runs like a top. It has the tall windshield, wind deflectors and rider backrest, along with other additions put on by the previous owner. I do miss the NT in the twisties, but when the cruise is set at 70+ and the radio is cranked up and I'm leaning back and riding in the air cocoon . . . .its hard to beat.
We do have a 400 cc Yamaha Majesty for when we want to see the horizon at an angle.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
105,500 on a new GL1800A. I only parted with it due to the weight and my bad back, BUT I do miss it and have been toying with going back to one. The only major issue in those miles was at 85,000 the complete stator & regulator bought the farm, I was on a extended 7 year maint program and it cost me nothing for the repair and dealer came and rescued me 150 miles from his shop.

If you get a GL 1800 I highly recommend that you only consider a ABS bike! If it has ovr 50,000 I also recommend that you seriously consider a Traxion upgrade to the suspension system, with that in place you can stay right with anyone on a stock suspensioned NT in any set of twisiies he wants to choose. I had a Rich Oconnor seat rebuild and that was from the 5500 mile point onward. With the wing you can easily add 4 to 4 1/2 gallons of AUX fuel if you choose to do so. It also is a trailer towing with out a problem . I pulled a Kwik Kamp tent trailer probably 30 plus thousand miles, I also did a number of serious LD rides including a BBG, 1500 miles in under 24 hours and I still felt like partying afterwards! If you chose to go dark side the GW will accept several different Fun Flat car tires with out any problem. As I set here thinking about all of this , not to mention Radio & CB communication and reverse I wish I still had my 04, I see it occasionally , I have not talked to the new owner, but I would imagine he has 150 - K or more on it by now. If you get one in the 80K plus I would do a valve inspection on itas you wont know how it was ridden, nor how regular the oil & filter were changed, nor what oil was ran in it. Mine was changed at 3 to 4,000 miles and had Honda SYN in it from the 20,000 mile pointMy vlaves were checked by me at 85,000 and still were well with-in spec and not any at the marginal tolerance. I have been around where others were checked and some found them dangerously close to being too tight, but I didn't know the ride history , nor oil history. One minor item that I did have to deal with , acturally my dealer wrench as I said I was under a 7 year unlimited mile maintenance program. the coolant hoses clamps had a habit of loosening up and a antifreeze oder would happen, the tech relocated the position of the clamps so he could access them with out major work to retighten them. A Wind Bender winshield is also a very nice addition. I had to replace one saddle bag lid lock devise, the spring steel thing broke, but it was a 5 minut repair job, otherwise there were no saddlebag lid problems. Like the NT, the wing will run on most any fuel that is available, but where the NT will give you 50 to 65, or 40 MPG if you are really pushing it, the wing wont do much better than 42 or 43 and if you are really pushing it the MPG can drop to around 28-30.

Bike
There was a frame problem on the 01 through early SN umbered bikes in 04. a dealer can tell you what that number is. By now I would guess that 99% of those frames have been repaied by Honda, My 04 was about ten numbers above the recall on the frame and I never had a problem with it!

Bike
why would you want to pay 20,000 for a wing with out a ABS , and with out self canceling signals, yes self canceling is available as a option! Mother Honda needs to pull her head out and let it get some sunshine!!are available for the next higher step for a extra 1000.00. The lighter weight is attractive, but with no major gain in MPG, no trunk. a used 04 to 08 in good shape can be had with all the goodies for a lot less money and is a much better bang for your dollars in my humble opinion

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Nice bikes for sure but as you pointed out VERY different. The wing is nearly 500lbs heavier than the NT....and you definitely will notice. This of course is good and bad. The weight makes the bike more leisurely which is nice on those long days but requires more "umph" when you are moving rapidly.

I would stay away from any 1800 prior to '06. To many frame issues in the pre-05s and the ADG in 06 was updated to a better hydraulic design less apt to fail. In fact several of the frame issues are NOT covered under the recall so checking with the dealer will be worthless. It just isn't worth the hassle in my opinion.

Other than the stock suspension on the bike being a complete and utter joke, Honda just about knocked it out of the park with the bike. For bikes getting up there in age, pay particular attention to the functioning of the switches. The ones less used (hazards, reverse, cruise) will often times not be working correctly. I have 107k nearly trouble free miles on my '09. Only had to tighten up the hose clamps under the fuel tank to stop a slow coolant leak. I also replaced the Alt at 100k just as a preventive step.

Last edited:
Top Bottom