Honda Previews It's First EV

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Well kind of anyway... The Honda Prologue is "co-development" with GM with GM supplying the chassis, batteries and motors and EV technology. Honda is handling the body and interior. :rolleyes: Looks like Honda is behind the power curve. See Here The Japanese manufacturers, excluding Nissan, better wake up soon or Hyundai / KIA and VW is going to put them in last place in the EV market.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I think the Japanese cautious approach to the EV is very wise.
Mike
I agree in some ways it is. But I think partnering with GM on an basically untested platform, that isn't in the market place anywhere yet, cancels out any "caution" on Honda's part. Honda better hope GM gets this one right or they take the bad press since their name is on it.

BTW that is some Japanese taking a cautious approach. Nissan has been in the EV market for some time with the Leaf and is introducing new products like the Ariya.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
But I think partnering with GM on an basically untested platform, that isn't in the market place anywhere yet, cancels out any "caution" on Honda's part. Honda better hope GM gets this one right or they take the bad press since their name is on it.
You will note that GM is undertaking the most "risk" by being responsible for the EV powertrain. Any failure can then be laid at GM's feet but in success, they share the laurels. Honda is dumb like a fox...

;)

Mike

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
You will note that GM is undertaking the most "risk" by being responsible for the EV powertrain. Any failure can then be laid at GM's feet but in success, they share the laurels. Honda is dumb like a fox...
Uh, no...:rolleyes: If I buy a Honda that has a problem it is Honda's problem. Honda is responsible for their vendor selections and any issues that may arise from those choices. Case in point Takata airbags. Who is feeling the customer's ire and is responsible to fix the car? Honda Your fox may come down with a serious case of rabies. Given GM's track record I think the odds are 50 / 50 on this one.

Since GM is developing their scalable platform for all their EV's they were already assuming all the risk. Honda is just helping GM to pay the freight. If it fails GM will be in deep stuff both in the marketplace and with their shareholders. Honda will have one model that they can quietly discontinue.

Since it is a nice looking vehicle, at least in pictures, I hope it does well. It should be coming to market around the time the Kona is two years old and ready to be traded. It would be good to have another choice in that size EV.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I wasn't suggesting that Honda abrogate responsibility because they wouldn't do that. However, in the eyes of the industry and knowledgeable consumers the drivetrain failure can be attributed to GM. Honda's only mistake in this scenario would be its selection of GM as a joint partner.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I don't want an SUV. Where's my electric Accord?
Exactly the oxymoron in this topic...
"...run and buy an EV cause it's ecological..." yeah, right... all you get are either overpowered, overpriced "super-cars" or heavy SUV's and trucks... with all the disadvantages...

If it must be an EV (with all the toxic issues coming along with such), where are the true ecological small cars for urban use, affordable for joe average who obviously is the one expected to "safe the planet" in this propaganda...
The few upper middle-crass and overly rich with their Teslas and eTrons won't even leave a dent...
And maneuvering us into the mercy of Asian MFGs with questionable environmental protection whilst dismantling our local industry/employers does neither seem wise nor desirable ...

Still, the most sustainable product is the one I don't have to produce... hence the '96 Toyota stays, at 320,000km it has already saved on the production of at least two new cars (mind that the MFGs would like us to buy a new one not later then every 4 years, better annually...)...

Last edited:
Top Bottom