Honda Top Case Mount Question

Nomad

I plan to purchase either an SW Motech rack/top case mount, or one made by Honda. I have seen the Motech rack, but not the Honda. I do not plan on adding a top case and want to know if the Honda rack has slots or holes for straps (like the Motech)?

The reason I went with the SW Motech is it has a lot more strap options than the Honda. Plus you can add the SW Soft Luggage adapter for even more options.... See this thread for more info and some pictures with the Soft Luggage Adapter.

Nomad,
Go to your Honda dealer and ask him to copy Honda Publication Mll 12946. This publication shows the adapter clearly and should answer any questions you may have. The price of this unit is quite low (by Honda standards) $75.

I went the MoTech route--which is more expensive--actually twice as much, but I wanted a luggage rack that could accommodate a variety of cases, be they CooCase, GIVI, or whatever. The luggage rack snaps off in a second and the new adapter snaps in. For the time being, I am happy with the AluRack setup since I am not in the market for a hard top case. I am perfectly happy with the soft luggage carrier which will handle a wide variety of waterproof duffels. Hope this info helps.

Last edited:
I went with the Honda bracket and top case because I like the color match. If you want to have a rack and no top box I would not go with the Honda. It is designed for the carrier base and has two clips that stick up from it that would be in the way unless you install the base. The photo attached show the base and carrier.

NT700VFarkles160-1.jpg

NT700VFarkles161-1.jpg

Ranger,
That looks like a good deal. It certainly can be used as a luggage rack.

Honda Top Box Base Modification

The reason I went with the SW Motech is it has a lot more strap options than the Honda.

I have the Honda top box and realized it needed some better tie down options. There is a hole under the carrier base that has a 3/4" diameter. I inserted a piece of stainless tubing. added 3/4" shaft collars to act as strap stops, and caps on the tubing ends. I used the straps on the 3/4" tubing to hold 2 bags on the passenger seat & it pulls the bags tight to the top box & seat (doesn't shift forward during hard braking). It would also work as a place to tie down luggage it the top box is removed. Even with bags in the passenger seat the box was still able to slide left to right, and the weight of the bags was mostly on the passenger seat.

The tubing was a short piece of scrap, other pieces totaled $12, bought at Ace Hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg