Hondaline Heated Grips

Bhsnjrotc

Greeting all,

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on getting some hondaline heated grips for my NT and wanted to ask the group their opinions.

1. What are your opinions of the hondaline grips?

2. How easy did you find it to install these grips?

3. The dealer service department was telling me that grip glue can melt due to the grips. Is this true? Also, if I decide to have them do it they charge for two hours of labor, does this sound about right?

Thanks for your assitance

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got them, but they were installed for free when I bought my bike. I paid for the grips and the wiring harness, but got a 30% discount. They're great for heat and I'm OK with the grips, but some people think they're hard. I'm happy with them.

I've had my bike since April '10 and have put 33,000 miles on it. I ride year round and have some unknown number of miles with the grips on high heat. I haven't noticed the grip glue melting. My guess is that your dealer dealer (or his tech) doesn't want to mess with putting them on.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I have the Hondaline grips. The work well, especially in conjunction with the wind deflectors. In fact, I can't keep them on high very long as they get too warm. I'll ride when the temps are in the 30s.

The dealer installed the grips, no charge.

Haven't noticed any glue melting.

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
There is some plastic that needs removed, but I think 2 hours seems excessive, aren't the grips basically plug-n-play. I may be wrong though. I would suggest calling a different dealer and compare labor time, get them to compete for your sale.

I am also in the same position, but can't stop thinking about the (multitude of) less expensive options.

elizilla

I've never bought the Hondaline heated grips, but I have cheaper heated grips. I have never had a problem with glue melting, because I don't use any glue. Just slosh some running alcohol into the grips and slide 'em on quick. The alcohol evaporates and the rubber is tacky enough to stay in place without any glue.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I've no experience with Honda's grips but given their overall approach to quality I'd expect them to be first rate. As an alternative approach I'm thinking about installing a set of Hot Grips. I've used them on 4 other bikes, a 2000 Aprilia, 2006 Ninja, 2007 Ducati, and 2010 Pegaso MP3 500, all with equal success and reliability. I found them easy to install and they didn?t require any special tools.

I ordered the optional variable heat controller rather than the on/off toggle switch so the cost was around $165 delivered. The controller takes up a bit more room than the plain toggle switch so anyone installing the system on an NT should determine the location prior to ordering. As a matter of convenience I also ordered the optional Epoxy glue which you might find for less money locally.

Installation time ran a couple of hours the first time, then an hour or less for the rest. Overall they put out plenty of heat and unlike cheaper imitations, wraps, etc, they?re a quality product that lives up to the manufacturer?s promises. I'd recommend them to anyone considering warm hands as opposed to freezing fingers.

To get an idea of what?s involved installing a set take a look at the WebBikeWorld review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-heated-grips/

As a final note the Hot Grips folks advise against using them in conjunction with a cruise control, same statement as made by the cruise control people. That precaution may or may not have merit so use your own judgement, this is just a heads up.

LL75 :smile:

betres

all of the posts should give you a clear indication of the way to go both in terms of dealing with dealers and the ups and downs of the oem grips. i have the oem's and like the others have been very pleased and have had no problem with glue. not sure about the kind of miles you plan on doing but for me, an old guy, a throttlemeister is a necessity and as larry/larry noted some grips are not compatible with various cruise control devices. therefore i went with the oem. good luck.......

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I will have HONDALINE heated grips on my NT before it leaves the dealership! I have 105,500 miles on the ones on my 04 Goldwing, they have never failed, nor given me any trouble no matter how bad the weather they have always worked with out any problem. I do have Hot Grips ona 99 KLR that have been on it all this time, They too have worked well and with out failures, but as I said earlier, it will be Hondaline on the NT for me.

Good luck with your choice.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The Honda accessory harness is for one thing only. Heated grips, power point, you name it just pick one the rest of it needs to find power elsewhere. see the threads about fuze blocks and such. My heated grip just go along for the ride 99% of the time. When I do use them the make the difference between having fun and asking myself what the heck am I #*)&#@$ doing here.
No issues with the adhesive yet.

RapidRobert

Want to have a plug & play installation, save a bunch of money, and have heated grips that work fantastic, as in get really, really hot? Try these from Aerostich ($45.)

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-warm-wrap-grips.html

And that business about melting your grips is so laughable... Where DO these dealers get their employees? I use my warm wraps over Grip Puppies foam grip covers. Never a problem.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have the Hondline grips and they have worked very well so far. The dealer installed them and I believe the two hour labor charge sounds about right. The glue on my left grip did come loose. I don't know if it melted our not. I took it off, cleaned off the old glue and used Yamabond gasket cement to put it back on. No further problems.

Nomad

By way of background, I have Hondaline heated grips on my NT700. I have previously installed BMW heated grips on a BMW and 2-sets of KTM grips on KTM Adventures. I attempted to install the Hondaline grips, but ended-up having the dealer complete the install (I'll explain).
Firstly, I'll answer an un-asked question. If I were to choose between using heated grips and heated gloves, I'd without question choose heated gloves -- in cold weather, they are much better at keeping your hands warm. That said, I use both (not at the same time). I generally use the heated grips at times when it's not cold enough to require heated gloves, but when a little heat from the grips can take the chill-off.
Now to your questions:
1. I think the Hondaline grips are grossly over-priced and poorly constructed compared with factory grips I've purchased for BMW and KTM bikes. The Hondaline seem to be a low-quality plastic rather than a rubber grip and the series of required harnesses is a inelegant -- the grips may be good, but I don't like the look, or feel. However, they work very well and the controller is exceptional. Neither my BMW or KTM grips had an electronic controller -- they used a 3-position switch, or rheostat. The Hondaline controller gives you several heat settings and electronically shuts-down the grips if the alternator isn't generating enough power.
2. This install should be simple (once you figure-out which sub-harness to use). It's a plug and play install (if you purchase all the required parts), but a clunky one. I normally do my own maintenance and began the install. Mounting the grips and controller is straight-forward and simple. But, when I removed the fairing to locate the accessory plug, I found the plug wasn't where it was supposed to be (don't confuse the accessory plug with the nearby red diagnostic connector). After an unsuccessful search, I decided to take the bike to the dealer (with most of the fairing removed). The dealer had their head mechanic look at my bike while I waited (as I had removed the pertinent fairing parts) and he couldn't find the accessory plug either (it wasn't where it was supposed to be). He had already installed grips on another NT700, so he knew what he was doing. I didn't have time to mess with it, so I left the bike with him. He said he'd either find the connector, or splice into another wire to make it work. He quoted 1.5 hrs for labor. I could have done the same thing, but didn't want to worry about voiding the warranty if I had to splice wires. Ultimately, the mechanic found the plug. He said it wasn't where it was supposed to be -- it had been pulled to the opposite side of the bike and taped completely over with other wires. I'm sure part of his explanation was to minimize my embarrassment and justify the 1.5 hrs labor (it shouldn't have taken that long considering I already removed the body parts and would re-install them myself). So, if you're in no hurry and don't mind the possibility of searching for the connector, I don't think you'll have a problem doing the install yourself.
3. I also ride dirt, dual-sport, and adventure bikes and don't find non-glued grips satisfactory. I've used alcohol and hairspray in the past, but using glue is superior. Yes, heated grips can warm and loosen SOME grip glue. Some guys use Super-Glue, but if you don't line things up correctly, quickly, you have to cut the grip off and try again. At the advice of my KTM dealer, I use Threebond Griplock. This glue is made specifically for grips. It dries fairly quickly, but gives you time to line-up the grips and does not become loose when heated (it requires 24-hours to completely cure). Some after-market heated grips ship with Threebond.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the grips and would install another set if these failed. Hopes this helps.

Top Bottom