Hot fuel smell?

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Hot day, 90+ degrees. After driving to and from lunch, local traffic including 75% Interstate, about 35 miles round trip, I parked in the garage. Went back to the bike a few minutes later and noticed a strong smell of fuel. Bike was still very hot, but there were no apparent leaks anywhere. After cooling down, smell disappeared.

I have noticed a fuel smell before when stopping for a break on highway rides, with no leaks noted. Any others notice this? I am aware that all automotive fuel tanks are a sealed system vented only to a charcoal cannister to absorb gas fumes, but is this system vented to atmosphere instead? Can't tell if the fuel cap is vented or not.

FWIW, Tank has about 4+ gallons in it, just filled yesterday (Fuel gauge still showing full). Fuel mileage is normal - mid 50's mpg.
I always leave it on the center stand, so it's not leaning. Hmmmm.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
FWIW... When I fill up I fill up on the side stand, leaving a little more air in the tank to give the gas more room to expand. I think Sam is right, I have never had fuel smell from my NT (My old GPz is another story all together) and that leads me to believe you may have a slight leak possibly past the fuel pump on a high pressure fuel line.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I have noticed the smell of fuel under certain conditions:

The tank is less than half full - usually about 1/3 to 1/4 full.
The bike is hot when parked - either from riding in traffic, hot weather or "spirited" riding
Bike has been put on the side stand rather than straight on to the centre stand.

I have occasionally noticed a small mark on the concrete under the "overflow" pipes by the stand so it could be some form of expansion or excess.

The last mile or so to where I live is down hill so I usually just let gravity do the work and cool the bike down. The hill is steep and the bike is in gear all the way (not free-wheeling) at about 30 mph. Even so the smell is there under the above conditions.

I had the forks checked 500 miles ago the the fork oil replaced. There was nothing wrong with the seals.

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions from all. Forks are clean and dry. No drips, or spots left underneath, ever. With only 1400 miles on it, and 10 months remaining on the warranty, I think I'll just have the dealer recheck for potential problems at the 4,000 mile service.

Top Bottom