I finally bought a good bike

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Due to some circulation issues in my left leg I started riding in 2020. I ride 7-10 miles each outing, 3-6 times a week around town. I have ridden up to 20 on occasion, but not often. I started on a Scwhinn Hybrid the wife got on Amazon. It was a decent ride but was becoming janky and I didn't want to put any more $ into it.

But yesterday I picked up a Trek Verve2 Disc Low Step. (comfort hybrid...jack of all trades, master of none) Its much easier to ride and has hydraulic disc brakes, 24 gears etc.
It's a bit faster then the Schwinn

trek-verve-2-disc-low-step-367504-1-12-2.jpg

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Glad you like it. Exercise is a LOT easier to do if you're having fun. Go different places and see different things.

I ride most every day, but almost never on the road. After way too many close calls with cars I stick to the woods trails. I take my chances with the rocks, roots, ruts, briars, bears, and ticks etc.
I ride a mountain bike this -Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 4.18.49 PM.png

And a Fat bike like this one -

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 4.23.02 PM.png

There are a lot of other bike riders on this forum. Maybe two wheels is just part of who we are. Another form of having fun on two wheels without gasoline.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have had a Trek mountain bike since 1984. It is well made and has performed faithfully. My right knee finally forced me to stick to powered two wheelers so I gave it to my son who is now enjoying it.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I live in Richardson, TX. We have many bike lanes and bike paths, so its easy to stay safe here. If a rider puts a little thought into their route he can stay pretty much out of the way with few major street crossings
Richardson is about 28 sq miles with about 120K population
39 Parks = 864 acres with 87 miles of walking/bike trails

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
We've got some excellent biking paths here as well. We have the Katy Trail which is 240 miles long roughly along the northern bank of the Missouri River. It is an old railbed that was abandoned by the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (MKT) Railroad that was deeded over to the State of Missouri and now is a state park. It is relatively flat and compacted gravel which is a joy to ride. We have another railbed that will be opening up in a few years. The Rock Island Railroad has abandoned a stretch of track west of St Louis which is about 75 miles in length and has deeded it over to the State.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I still have my Trek road bike (bought in 1992) but I would not be comfortable riding it on the same roads used 20 years ago. Mostly traffic has changed but I am also older and slower now. I haven't ridden it in several years. A bicycle is sure good exercise though.
Enjoy the new 2 wheeler.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I never rode my Trek MTB on public roads with the exception of the city streets in my small town. Usually just down to the local ice cream parlor and back. It's funny how things like that work out too. I calculated that the calories burned on the round trip ride to the ice cream parlor were exactly offset by the calories consumed by a hot fudge sundae!
;)
Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Clay, you’ve been “one-upped”. I just bought another bike. Now I have 3.
1. Mountain bike with 2.35” tires 25#
2. Mountain bike with 3” tires 28#
3. Fat bike with 4.5” tires 33#
I like wide tires to handle the sand where I live.
I also have a set of 1.25” road slicks for #1 but I rarely ride on a road.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Here is something interesting for you bicycle guys. Saw it on my River Cruise in the Black Forest of Germany, last week.

SAM_7506.JPGSAM_7507.JPG
Only one of us dumb Germans would ever. make a bike frame out of wood. I was both a forester and a carpenter and even I think it is a bad idea.
The craftsmanship how ever is to be admired. You WONT see one of these in the Tour de France.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Beautiful craftsmanship! In the Moto Museum in St. Louis there is a wooden motorcycle powered by a chainsaw engine. It was engineered and built in Arkansas. Needless to say the craftsmanship was not on par with the Deutschmen!
:)
Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Wooden bike. So now you have to look out for traffic and termites.
Beautiful frame.

Arknt

Top Bottom