I just installed some handlebar risers

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I just installed some handlebar risers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-22mm-Motorcycle-HandleBar-Handle-Fat-Bar-Mount-Clamps-Riser-Universal-Black/282802136446

I got them from my local shop and not from eBay, but those are the same ones -- oh, hmm, I guess I paid quite a bit more than I needed to. Anyway, I just got back from a short ride after installing them and I can say, WOW they make the riding position so much more comfortable! I was actually thinking I might need to buy a different bike with a more upright riding position, but now I'm not thinking that at all anymore. Even if I got price gouged I think it was an excellent investment. (But hey, I'm supporting the local economy, right?)

They installed really easily. I had to pull up some slack on the front brake hose, but I didn't have to loosen anything to do it. All the other cables were fine. The throttle cable is a bit snug when the bars are turned all the way to the stopper, but not much more than it was before.

Standard warning: Be careful not to over-tighten anything since everything is aluminum.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Any inputs on how the pivoting design is better than the fixed risers?

Mscb1100

Hi Jeff
The link you posted says these are not compatible with the nt700.
Are they Roxx Risers on your bike?

OP
OP
JeffMeunier
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Any inputs on how the pivoting design is better than the fixed risers?
Even though these pivot, there's not much room for pivoting. I attached mine as straight as possible, but they could lean back just a bit before the cables get too tight and the handlebars hit the gas tank (when turned fully).

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeffMeunier
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Hi Jeff
The link you posted says these are not compatible with the nt700.
Are they Roxx Risers on your bike?
I don't know the brand name. I went to the shop, said "Hey you got any 22mm risers?" and they guy said, "Lemme go in back" and came out with those, not even in packaging. I wanted them asap so I bought them on the spot.

As long as they fit 22mm bars you should be ok.

Avi

Happy New Year Jeff and friends riders - I have a 2011 Honda NT700V ABS. I see that this riser part that Jeff mentioned is not compatible for my bike. Is there a riser recommended for my bike that works great? Any feedback?

I went to my local mechanic, he mentions that not to change the ergonomics of the bike by installing a riser as this would change the center of gravity and explained that this stock handle is made by a lot of thinking and effort by engineers in Honda. So changing it would not be good for the rider

Do you have any issues or feel different after youve added the risers?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Avi, your mechanic is full of it. Sitting up a little more doesn't change the bike's handling. But adding a bar riser made the bike much more comfortable for me. I didn't have wrist pain afterwards that had been there before, and when I also added a Throttlemeister throttle lock, my back and shoulders quit hurting. I also added an electronic cruise control when I'd had the bike for about 8-9 months. That and a Russell DayLong saddle made the bike practically perfect for me.

I think you can basically add any bar riser that's up to about an inch or an inch and a half without much difficulty. Some people say that the clutch cable will be too short, but I found that there was a zip-tie on it that I could cut and that let the stock cable work OK. The Honda TransAlp clutch cable works OK, too, and is about 1 1/2-2" longer so it you need to you can get that part.

BTW, I used a Motorcycle Larry riser, but Larry died and his family quit producing the parts.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I went to my local mechanic, he mentions that not to change the ergonomics of the bike by installing a riser as this would change the center of gravity and explained that this stock handle is made by a lot of thinking and effort by engineers in Honda. So changing it would not be good for the rider
That's some unusual thinking... I'm 5'10" and the center of gravity I create on the bike is totally different than a rider that is 5'5"...or 6'5'. I also added 1 inch risers with no issues other than being much more comfortable! :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Like I said, Avi's mechanic is guilty of bull-hockey and/or ignorance. When I had my NT lowered, I installed a link in the rear that lowered it an inch. I had the mechanic slide the forks up in the triple clamp an inch, too. To the best of my knowledge, I did not change the bike's geometry by doing that. I shortened the wheelbase a very small amount (the distance the front wheel moved back after having the angled forks slid up in the triple clamp couldn't have been much over 1/8" if that much) and I reduced it's ground clearance by inch. But the service manager was adamant that the bike would handle completely differently. I told him I'd be careful. The only difference I have ever noticed was the difficulty I had in getting on and off the bike before I finally got the sidestand shortened enough this summer.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If we had a sport bike capable of 200 mph it might make a difference but with the NT in particular how we ride them not so much.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You have not changed your body mass location appreciably by raising the handlebars a bit, thus your CG remains unchanged. To change the CG you have to note where the mass is carried. When riding normally the seat bears the bulk of the body mass. You will note that the ADV guys and dirt bikers ride a lot while standing on the footpegs. They don't do that because it looks cool (OK, some of em do), by standing up, the weight of your body mass is now placed on the footpegs thus significantly lowering the CG which helps in off road handling. Phil stated it much more succinctly … bull hockey..

Mike

Avi

I just installed some handlebar risers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-22mm-Motorcycle-HandleBar-Handle-Fat-Bar-Mount-Clamps-Riser-Universal-Black/282802136446

I got them from my local shop and not from eBay, but those are the same ones -- oh, hmm, I guess I paid quite a bit more than I needed to. Anyway, I just got back from a short ride after installing them and I can say, WOW they make the riding position so much more comfortable! I was actually thinking I might need to buy a different bike with a more upright riding position, but now I'm not thinking that at all anymore. Even if I got price gouged I think it was an excellent investment. (But hey, I'm supporting the local economy, right?)

They installed really easily. I had to pull up some slack on the front brake hose, but I didn't have to loosen anything to do it. All the other cables were fine. The throttle cable is a bit snug when the bars are turned all the way to the stopper, but not much more than it was before.

Standard warning: Be careful not to over-tighten anything since everything is aluminum.
Hello Jeff - I have a 2011 NT 700 V ABS. I am 6'2 tall and would like an upright position. Do you recommend these risers and will it make a great difference in obtaining a comfortable ride? I dont want to get extra cables and want to keep my stock cables. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Avi

Hello - I have a 2011 NT 700 V ABS. I am 6'2 tall and would like an upright position. Do you recommend any good risers that will make a great difference in obtaining a comfortable ride? I am avoiding getting extra set of replacement cables and want to keep my stock cables. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Avi.,

Try these:

Spouse has a set with the Ram ball and the power outlet. They work great for him. I have some on mine that are a bit taller, will have to try to remember what brand they are.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I seem to recall that 1" to 1-1/2" rise is about the max if using the standard cables and standard front brake hose.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Avi.,

Try these:

Spouse has a set with the Ram ball and the power outlet. They work great for him. I have some on mine that are a bit taller, will have to try to remember what brand they are.
It looks like motorcycle Larry might be back in business. I noticed the website has a 2019 copyright on it. Before ordering anything however I would call the phone number they have listed to verify

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
It looks like motorcycle Larry might be back in business. I noticed the website has a 2019 copyright on it. Before ordering anything however I would call the phone number they have listed to verify
Doubtful, the site probably just puts 'current year' in that section when it renders the page.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I just sent an email to the address listed as a contact point and it came back as undeliverable. I think MCL products are gone.

Top Bottom