I learned something today!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Sherman tanks are known for using a very aircraft like radial R975 engine (continental)
Someone got the idea of gluing 5 in-line 6 cyls together
a tank.jpg
A Normal sherman tank engine
a tank 2.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
They tried many different powerplants in hopes of getting more speed out of the original Sherman.

In spite of all its detractors, the original radial engine in the M4 Sherman was easily repaired in the field. It was said "...a farm boy with a pair of pliers and a crescent wrench could get it fixed."
This was the complete opposite of the hi-tech German tanks that had to be returned to a formal repair facility to get repaired...plus we had about a bazillion Shermans compared to only a relatively small number of Tigers.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
They tried many different powerplants in hopes of getting more speed out of the original Sherman.

In spite of all its detractors, the original radial engine in the M4 Sherman was easily repaired in the field. It was said "...a farm boy with a pair of pliers and a crescent wrench could get it fixed."
This was the complete opposite of the hi-tech German tanks that had to be returned to a formal repair facility to get repaired...plus we had about a bazillion Shermans compared to only a relatively small number of Tigers.
Shermans came in lots of flavors...cast and welded even.....Radial engines are fairly easy to repair on the front of an aircraft once you get the cowling off. With the Sherman, it was burried deep with lots of ducting to keep it cool. In reality, at airfields during the war, engines rarely were repaired with any significant damage....they replaced them. Setting the valves on a radial engine, which of course I have done, is fairly easy with the cowl off once you get the valve covers off. Then you put the covers back on and saftey wire the screws/bolts back on. When I was at the National Military vehile museum this summer (twice) I marveled at the Shermans of different flavors.
a sherman.jpg
1666757765664.png
1666757905233.png

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'll be darned! In the top pic, the tank on the right says "Gideon".... and I thought they only placed Bibles.... tanks too!! Who woulda' thunk!!??

;)

Mike

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I'll be darned! In the top pic, the tank on the right says "Gideon".... and I thought they only placed Bibles.... tanks too!! Who woulda' thunk!!??

;)

Mike
Got me one! Looks like they have so many, the court house squares are full!
1667102309056.png

Top Bottom