I want giant windshield

hondaaddict

Does anyone make a great big windshield? I've installed a Helibar riser, and my handlebar is 4" back from stock. So there's no worry about handlebar hitting the windshield. I want to put a great big, tall and wide, windshield on my NT. The stock shield is only about 18" wide. Maybe, I need a 24" wide and 6" taller than stock. I know it'll probably look funky. But I don't care. I'll be doing a grueling one week endurance ride. Comfort is paramount, at all other expense.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Check with JC Whitney. My first bike was a GL650i Silverwing that had the biggest Goldwing screen they sold. I smoked a pipe at the time and I was convinced that I could have loaded, lit, and smoked it behind that thing. You could drill holes to fit the NT brackets. I'm not entirely sure that would be the most comfortable solution, but it would sure be big. :)

You do need to consider the load to be placed on the arms that hold the windshield in place. They are sufficient for the stock windshield but still are a sliding mechanism with loads on all joints. Also consider where you want the windshield to be: full up,down, or somewhere in between. There is a lever effect to be considered. Several manufactors have put out some fairly tall screens so the total area should be determined with a little figuring. Finally top speed has perhaps the greatest impact with the wind pressure being exponential I believe.
One time I put a fairly large aftermarket shield on a Yamaha 550 Vision. Some fairly dramatic effects there. Great until I got above 50mph then a huge increse in back pressure such that I immediately went smaller. Even the smaller changed the handling and front tire wear.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I agree with John that stock is pretty dang good. However, I went with the Cee Bailey +2 windshield and I can ride all day. In the full up position it's quiet with very little air turbulence behind it. In fact while riding to Freeport over the weekend in the driving rain, I had to lower the windshield to blow water off my face shield. Cee Bailey shield go to +6 inches over the stock shield.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Maybe it's just me, but I am usually reluctant to change radically from what the bike's engineer designed. I will probably go for a Cee Bailey +2 like Dan did. I also lowered my windshield so that the wind would blow the water off my face shield. Dan and I were on the same ride in the rain.

I consider the Cee Bailey a very minor change which will not stress the stock mounts. I changed the ergos on my bike slightly--1" risers with no rake back, A Sargent low profile seat for firmness and lowering about an inch, and foot pegs one inch lower. These are modifications that do not affect the bike's handling. That is one thing that I would not change. As John said, the stock NT is one of the most comfortable bikes going. I had a problem with the soft seat. I am accustomed to riding many hours on my bicycles--and those seats are firm. The Honda seat gave me more lateral motion than I wanted. The Sargent seat fits perfectly and places my body in the optimum position. The handlebar riser allowed me to turn the handlebars down--giving me a more relaxed position and a fair lead to the brake and clutch levers. Without the risers, the handlebar could not be turned down because it would interfere with the tank. With all this, I am in the same position as I would be if I did nothing--except that I am just shy of an inch lower. When the seat breaks in, it will be an inch.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have probably the only experience in here with the larger shields (at least that I know of).

I have both the CalSci +5.5" and CB +6. The CalSci was ok but was too narrow at the top for me. The CB +6 is perfect as far as I am concerned. Probably not quite as wide as you want, but, is plenty to keep the wind off my shoulders and upper arms (except in a crosswind :) ).

The CalSci had about 5000 miles on it and showed no signs of strain. The CB has almost 3000 miles on it and is as good as new (except for a bunch of bugs :) ). While both flex a LOT in turbulent wind they are perfectly fine structurally. No stress cracks, no crazed areas, even after inspecting with a magnifier. The mounting brackets are fine as well, adjusting up and down just like they did when new. The CB has seen over 110mph without problem, the CalSci has been over 100mph a few times.

The CB is my second best farkle, right behind the Russell seat :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have Honda stick on hand guards...they look nice but function?
They function surprisingly well... I rode for a while before mounting mine and the change when I mounted them was noticeable. They do a very good job keeping the wind off my hands...

Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
So ... What you are saying is our NT's can fly ! I knew it. How fast do I need to go to get lift off? :) Ok, so to be serious, all I know is those airplane wing deflectors saved my hands this week cause I only had thin perforated gloves, and even though the heated grips were great for the inside of my hands, I could tell how fortunate I was not to have any 35ish air slamming against my knuckles like it used to on my Maxim many years ago.

One thing that I was amazed at was how the MCL risers still had my hands in the air vacuum. Sweet!

Oh - and I too have the Cee Bailey 2", and love the extra pocket (I'm 6 feet) BUT: I have noticed small scratches where I cleaned my windshield !@#$ Not sure what to do here, and I hope it does not get worse each time I choose to wipe down my bike with super fine tarry cloth. I would love any comments on this on what I could do. It only really bothers me at dusk when I can tell the scratches are there.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If they are very fine scratches they can be polished out. Look for aircraft cleaning materials.

The critical part on the windshield is not to wipe it when it is dirty. Wash it off first, then wipe.

You'll still get scratches from riding through blowing dirt/sand or getting hit by rocks or other debris.

OP
OP

hondaaddict

I might have exaggerated a bit about the gruelling part. I'm going from Texas to Arkansas. Spend two full days in Arkansas. I don't know exactly where; others in the group are organizing. But I was told AR is beautiful riding. I plan to spend two days to ride there and two back. Most people can probably get there in one day, but my neck and back will probably kill me.

I was disappointed by the selection of windshield for NT. They're all pretty much the same, just taller and a bit wider than stock. They don't seem to lean back enough. So, I took it upon myself to modify the existing stock shield configuration. I took some leftover steel stock, drill somes holes, and bend the stocks to an angle. This became an extended bracket for the windshield. I know it looks very ghetto, but it seems pretty sturdy. The holes on the homemade bracket don't match the holes on the windshield very well; so there's some stress on the shield. Since this is just a prototype, I didn't want to spend too much time perfecting the holes. When I was done, I immediately took it out for a spin down the interstate. To my surprise, this configuration works extremely well. When I say well, I really mean it because I'm extremely sensitive to turbulance and vibrations. I wear high prescription eyeglasses; any slight vibration on my head/helmet is amplified by my glasses and I get headaches after a while. So I was very surprised this mod is working so well, after only investing one hour or two to make the sorry looking brackets. The bracket extends 4-inches along the direction of the rail. There's also considerable tilt in the shield now. I think tilting the shield to as close to the head as possible is good. There's still plenty of distance between my head and the top of the shield. When I make a better bracket next time, I think I'll put even more tilt. You can see the tilt on the photo below. Notice I have the Helibar riser, which puts the handlebar about 4-inches back and up. The giant hole on the bottom of the windshield, to my surprise, doesn't cause any problem. This hole in stock configuration did give me a lot of turbulant air to my face. I expected to have to cover it up with plexiglass or something, but the air thru the hole goes straight up and dissapate somehow. So I left the hole uncovered. I guess the real question is how much wear and tear this is putting on the rails, which I read is made out of plastic. The sorry bracket has some flexibility to it; this property should relieve some of the load on the rail. The shield isn't even close to flopping around. I think it'll hold for a long while.

If the rails do break, I will remove the rails, make beefier brackets with the help of my machinist friend, and permanently mount the bracket on the fairing. This is probably overkill for most people. I'm unusually sensitive to turbulance and vibration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
That is almost the angle my CB has when in the middle position.

Nice work.

This is the part that made me wonder about Honda's sliders. Why the change in angle to such a vertical position? I guess it is all a compromise and they decided that the sporty look when all the way down was more important than the full up position.

I do have a somewhat less complicated solution: get an ST13. Having had both I can say that the ST13 has one of the larger still air areas around-sometimes maybe too big in excess heat. The electric shield will allow you to dial in exactly the position you want for maximum comfort. And there are a plethora of Big shields around for the bike which will have no difficulties that I ever heard handling whatever you want to put on it. But there is that extra 200 or pounds to put up with which eventually is why I got the NT.

and I too have the Cee Bailey 2", and love the extra pocket (I'm 6 feet) BUT: I have noticed small scratches where I cleaned my windshield !@#$ Not sure what to do here, and I hope it does not get worse each time I choose to wipe down my bike with super fine tarry cloth. I would love any comments on this on what I could do. It only really bothers me at dusk when I can tell the scratches are there

Falcon has the drill down correct. I would add that I like to hit the shield with a fine mist of water and then follow with a mist of Simple Green (1/100solution). On the road I carry a small can of Plexus and a microfiber towel with has proved essential for when the love bugs come out. Faceshield and windshield stay clean and unscratched.

McGuiars makes a plastic polish if you can't find the aircraft products. Better on windshields than face shields.

Last edited:
Top Bottom