Illuminated “Halo” helmet?

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
I drove through a road construction site recently at night. I was amazed to see highway workers wearing a “Halo” of light on their hard hats. They were VERY conspicuous from a great distance.
Why can’t motorcycle helmets also utilize this technology?! I will sign up for a “halo” on my helmet now!
Any thoughts as to whether they would be legal or not?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am not sure what law they would violate if you had one on your helmet although it appears it would take some adapting to get it to fit.

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
By most traffic laws (that I’m aware of) any light visible from the rear must be red, and only white from the front. Except amber turn signals.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I'm certainly not advocating you do this, but you could come up with something similar for a lot cheaper. Get cheap 12V LED adhesive light strips of whatever color, apply your helmet, and run a quick disconnect pigtail down to the bike's wiring harness. The connector manufacturers use for heated gear would work.

Something like this plugged to the bike's fused battery tender lead (assuming you have one installed).
https://www.amazon.com/MOTOPOWER-MP69006-Adapter-Motorcycle-Clothing/dp/B01NAK52L3/

Apply this to your helmet.
https://www.amazon.com/PryEU-Daylight-Motorcycle-Interior-Waterproof/dp/B00YXBEHQK/

Connect the LED light strip to a long heated gear cord with a male end, and run it down your riding jacket and out to the first linked product.

My grandson has some LED tape that has a battery about the size of a thick quarter that you paste onto the helmet in any pattern that you like. His is Kawasocki green.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I think extra lights on your helmet would add a lot of visibility. Just like adding driving lights to the front that are separated from the headlight. If you kept the colors for front to back correct I don't think anyone would object. Don't make them so bright that blinding oncoming traffic is an issue.
There are manufacturers selling brake lights that attach to a helmet (third eye design for one).

Brad

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I jumped into supporting the BrakeFree Smart Brake Light for Motorcyclists on Indeigogo about 2 years ago. They are expecting completion and shipping out units to supporters by the end of September as reported by the developer. This as a better solution intended for use on-road motorcycles.

If anyone is interested in knowing more about this product, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brakefree-the-smart-brake-light-for-motorcyclists#/.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Looks to me like the Halo is designed to help the worker see things around him. I don't want that much light coming from my helmet at night. It seems like having it shining on my bike might impair my night vision. I like the Brakefree!

Last edited:
Top Bottom